All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181701Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th July 2024, 12:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Unseen Movies 96

Internal Affairs. 1990.

Andy Garcia plays the newly I.A. officer teamed with Laurie Metcalf, his new assignment is old friend William Baldwin who is facing charges of assault and placing evidence against a drug dealer. Baldwin's partner Richard Gere is smooth as they come by the book and respected by other officers, while I.A. believe him to corrupt. I'm really not one for Gere movies except maybe The Mothman Prophecies , but here he plays a cop that knows all the tricks in the book and can manipulate those who come across him. it is more spend the day with a dirty cop rather than the department trying to get evidence against him. Garcia and Metcalf are the miss shaped buddy cop duo and surprisingly actually able to work together without being a bickering married couple. This does set things up with the adrenaline of knowing who is shady and how can the good guys bring someone who is able to twist things around and still keep smiling.

p12069_p_v12_am.jpg
Old 27th July 2024, 03:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Unseen Movie 97

Thunder Of The Gigantic Serpent. 1988

Scientists create a formula that can grow plants and animals to huge sizes, when the lab is attacked, a scientist escapes with the formula and is lost, a small girl finds it and exposes her pet snake which grows. What the heck have I just watched??? A mix of horror, science-fiction, drama, disaster flick and unintentional comedy with the dubbing that doesn't help the acting in now way shape or form, this was basically Anaconda meets Godzilla with the effects of the 80s that weren't great but not terrible. I doubt I will come back to this one.

poster-342.jpg
Old 27th July 2024, 10:04 PM
Cult Addict

That sounds great to me.
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 28th July 2024, 05:45 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
That sounds great to me.
It may appeal to some, it's on YT.
nicholasrope and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 28th July 2024, 11:07 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Attachment 251969

If there are to be no more Deadpool films, then this is a great way to go out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
If it opens well Disney will green light three more in a fortnight.
It's just opened to the tune of $438.3m worldwide including $205 million in the US. I think it's a dead cert that Reynolds and Jackman will return as Deadpool and Wolverine.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 29th July 2024, 04:17 AM
Cult Acolyte

Went to the cinema to see Deadpool & Wolverine today. With his universe under threat, Deadpool plucks a faiied Wolverine from another dimension to help save his own. Enjoyed it. Is it the greatest movie ever made? No. But it was fun and I did not get bored and start wishing for it to end, so that puts it above the other two I've seen this year.
Old 29th July 2024, 09:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

My wife and I had much good fun watching Deadpool and Wolverine. I was a bit surprised by how closely linked it was, to the Loki Disney+ show. Made me wonder if it would be confusing for folks who haven't seen Loki. I'm not a huge fan of the idea of having to know the Marvel tv shows, to properly follow a cinematic entry.
nicholasrope, iank and MrBarlow like this.
Old 29th July 2024, 09:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

I've never seen Loki and I didn't find it confusing.
Old 29th July 2024, 10:00 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Bloody Judge (1970)

Producer Harry Alan Towers and director Jess Franco's impressive nod to Witchfinder General, starring Christopher Lee as as Judge George Jeffreys, a womanizing witchfinder.

The film is very loosely based on a real life judge from the 1600's - the aforementioned George Jeffreys, who actually was neither witch hunter or womanizer. He was however chief magistrate during the reign of King James II, a king who put to death many alleged witches during his short lived three year reign, and was infamously known as The Hanging Judge.

A strong cast - Lee, Leo Genn, Maria Schell, Maria Rohm and Howard Vernon together with some well staged battle scenes make this top tier Franco.

The film is set during the Monmouth Uprising of 1685 in which the Duke of Monmouth attempted to take the throne from King James. despite its modest budget, Franco filmed some excellent battle scenes featuring charging cavalry, batteries of cannons blazing away and what seems like a cast of thousands. The film looks very stylish and Franco has made a big film on a small budget - $5000. This arrived hot on the heels of Michael Reeves Witchfinder Genera and although nowhere near as good as that' film, due to its story being nothing like as interesting or exciting, The Bloody Judge is non-the less an impressive achievement for Franco.

88 Films Blu-ray looks gorgeous but it's sharp clear image allows cars to be seen going past the outskirts of the battle scenes which i'd never noticed on the dvd. Meanwhile some of the writing in the booklet is a bit poorly researched. For example claiming the film took place at the end of James II's reign when in reality the date in the prologue and indeed quoted in the booklet of 1685 was the year James became King.
Old 29th July 2024, 10:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
I've never seen Loki and I didn't find it confusing.
Ah, fair enough.
nicholasrope likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!