Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181674Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th August 2024, 07:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Watched Boy Kills World last night. Totally flopped on release and a lot of people hated it, but I thought it was a lot of fun.

Attachment 252170
It's pretty decent but I thought it was too long, that cheese grater scene though.
Old 10th August 2024, 07:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Trap

M Night Shyamalan's latest sees Josh Harnett take his Daughter to a Concert but he's a Serial Killer and whilst there, he finds out that the Police knows he's there so he has to find a way to get out. The Trailer does make it look really interesting and it is but it looses it's way at the end.

I enjoyed it because I was interested in what was going to happen next but it's not one for repeat viewing. Other than a couple of quick moments, it's not all that violent and could have been a 12A if those scenes weren't there.

Borderlands

Movie based on the Game (Which I do not play so I don't have any bias) but throughout the Film I was thinking that this is just like Guardians Of The Galaxy, it's not good with only Jack Black voicing a Robot being entertaining. They should have let Eli Roth go full Eli Roth instead of aiming for the under 15 market.

Trick Or Treat

A bullied Teen summons the ghost of a dead rock star and gets revenge on his Bullies but he looses control and has to stop the ghost. This was entertaining considering the budget and that it was from 1986 and has cameos from Gene Simmons and Ozzy Osbourne as a Preacher who wants to put a stop to Rock 'N' Roll.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t.jpg (6.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg b.jpg (13.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg tot.jpg (12.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 11th August 2024, 03:32 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Schizo (1976)

I'm not going to go into the plot as that would save people watching it but this is an interminably long psycho thriller from Pete Walker with red herrings galore which could have given the film a nice twist had the script not given the game away after about forty minutes when a character is told of a murder in the just arrived morning paper and said character knows who the victim was.

There are one or two cool slasher style murders with plenty of the red stuff on show but the heavy handedness of the story telling and tiring run time (Just short of two hours - seriously you could lose half an hour and nobody would notice) means this is a lesser Pete Walker vehicle.

Following an opening that was so grainy it seemed like it was in a blizzard the image quality on the 88 Films Blu-ray settles down and looks rather pretty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg -Schizo-_U.S.film_poster.jpg (30.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 11th August 2024, 08:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Rage

Gary Daniels is kidnapped and injected with a serum that's supposed to turn him into a remorseless killing machine but he escapes and goes on the run from Cops and shady operatives. A TV Newsman and Camerawoman help him prove what is going on.

A P/M Entertainment Films offering which delivers on a chase (Trucks this time) Fights and Shootouts. There's a scene in a Mall where a DVD Shop has lots of posters for other P/M Entertainment Films (It's a shop I'd loved to have visited) all in all, a very decent way to have spent a Saturday night.

Blue Velvet

Kyle McLaughlin finds a severed Ear and becomes curious as to who's it is. Teaming up with Laura Dern, he becomes obsessed with Singer, Isabella Rossellini who is being abused by psychotic, Dennis Hopper. Dean Stockwell co-stars in a Film that is cropped up in several Top 10Lists recently so I gave it a try. I was apprehensive because it's a David Lynch and his Films are hard to follow but I found it easy to follow. It wasn't too bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r.jpg (11.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg bv.jpg (14.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 12th August 2024, 10:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Uncharted (2022)

A very enjoyable adventure yarn in which treasure hunter Mark Wahlberg recruits stealthy pickpocket Tom Holland in a race against wealthy and corrupt billionaire Antonio Banderas to find the fabled treasure of the 16th century Magellan expedition which charted a trade route across the Pacific and Atlantic oceans.

In truth there's little that you won't have seen before in better and sometimes worse films but for every idea or set piece borrowed from an Indiana Jones, National Treasure or Pirates of the Caribbean film there's also enough originality to make it stand out, especially in Holland's appealing performance and some beautiful Barcelona location work.

I liked this. Definitely one to return to if i want a lively treasure hunt movie that doesn't involve the fella with the bullwhip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (97.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 14th August 2024, 10:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Mystic River (2003)

Clint Eastwood's classy and intelligent thriller about three friends separated following an awful childhood trauma are reunited as adults when one of their daughters is brutally murdered and suspicions between the three begin to grow out of control.

Featuring sterling performances from a terrific cast - Sean Penn, Tim Robbins and Kevin Bacon play the three friends whilst Laurence Fishburne, Laura Linney, Marcia Gay Harden and Emmy Rossum add weighty support - Mystic River is Clint Eastwood the director on top form as he brings the Autumnal haunting proceedings to an unbelievably tense finale in a film that drips with the darkness of tragic events.

Mystic River is one of those films i'd class as beautifully crafted adult cinema.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mystic_River_poster.jpg (62.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 15th August 2024, 02:05 AM
Cultist

just watched new dragon gate inn on youtube on freeview tv in 1080p looks quite good better than the Hong Kong Legend DVD version wish 88films would release it on Blu-Ray in the UK not seen it since I lost the dvd release about 15years ago.
Old 15th August 2024, 01:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Stephen King's Storm of the Century (1999)

A tiny Maine island community comes under siege from an icy super storm and an accompanying all knowing being with unyielding demand of "Give me what i want and i'll go away". Who or what is the mysterious man who brings terror to the community? They can shelter from the storm but they can't escape him.

A truly excellent original Stephen King story, for once not an adaptation of a novel or story but exclusively for this tv mini series. Even though it clocks in at a bum numbing four and a quarter hours Storm of the Century is compulsive viewing and seemingly without much in the way of padding. The story is tight and delightfully acted by all concerned especially the wonderful Colm Feore as the mysterious stranger Andre Linoge, with the striking walking cane reminiscent of Larry Talbot's in Universal's The Wolf Man (Not a spoiler by the way. Linoge is no werewolf). He exudes an air of malevolent power and strength throughout and grips the viewer whenever he is on screen in a brilliantly chilling performance.

The 255 minute length allows the story to breath and gives all the characters well rounded personalities. It's in these sections where you'd expect the padding and the pacing to flag but both King and director Craig R. Baxley do a terrific job of keeping you involved in proceedings, never letting the story slide, whilst always edging the tension up a notch.

With an ending of unnerving tension you won't expect or see coming, Storm of the Century is brilliant stuff and for me ranks among the best of King's work.

Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 060926030808_l.jpg (33.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 15th August 2024, 06:01 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Stephen King's Storm of the Century (1999)

A tiny Maine island community comes under siege from an icy super storm and an accompanying all knowing being with unyielding demand of "Give me what i want and i'll go away". Who or what is the mysterious man who brings terror to the community? They can shelter from the storm but they can't escape him.

A truly excellent original Stephen King story, for once not an adaptation of a novel or story but exclusively for this tv mini series. Even though it clocks in at a bum numbing four and a quarter hours Storm of the Century is compulsive viewing and seemingly without much in the way of padding. The story is tight and delightfully acted by all concerned especially the wonderful Colm Feore as the mysterious stranger Andre Linoge, with the striking walking cane reminiscent of Larry Talbot's in Universal's The Wolf Man (Not a spoiler by the way. Linoge is no werewolf). He exudes an air of malevolent power and strength throughout and grips the viewer whenever he is on screen in a brilliantly chilling performance.

The 255 minute length allows the story to breath and gives all the characters well rounded personalities. It's in these sections where you'd expect the padding and the pacing to flag but both King and director Craig R. Baxley do a terrific job of keeping you involved in proceedings, never letting the story slide, whilst always edging the tension up a notch.

With an ending of unnerving tension you won't expect or see coming, Storm of the Century is brilliant stuff and for me ranks among the best of King's work.

Highly recommended.
This one doesn't seem readily available anymore. I remember it coming out on DVD and being quite cheap in MVC years ago. I never bothered.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 15th August 2024, 06:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
This one doesn't seem readily available anymore. I remember it coming out on DVD and being quite cheap in MVC years ago. I never bothered.
One i've watched a few times across the years. I really like it.
nicholasrope likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!