Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180857Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd December 2010, 07:49 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

ok so i just watched Piranha 3D in 2D and while probably being one of the worst films of the year it was still strangely enjoyable. Some of the CGI FX are shocking but the Gore FX are on the money with some spectacular work from KNB. The Story is a bit pooh but with a film like this, the story takes a back seat. Nice to see some 80s legends in this too. The Girls are hot, the gore is good, the acting alright, the running time....about right, the cast not bad and the story a bit shit.

I would recommend this for a night in if you rent it but at 17.99 blu or 13.99 DVD, there are better films to splash the cash on. Will do a full review soon.
Old 22nd December 2010, 09:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
ok so i just watched Piranha 3D in 2D and while probably being one of the worst films of the year it was still strangely enjoyable. Some of the CGI FX are shocking but the Gore FX are on the money with some spectacular work from KNB. The Story is a bit pooh but with a film like this, the story takes a back seat. Nice to see some 80s legends in this too. The Girls are hot, the gore is good, the acting alright, the running time....about right, the cast not bad and the story a bit shit.

I would recommend this for a night in if you rent it but at 17.99 blu or 13.99 DVD, there are better films to splash the cash on. Will do a full review soon.
I can understand why people would put that in the worst of 2010 list BUT they are taking it way to serious OR have no sense of fun.

If you go in expecting nothing then you will have a laugh and enjoy yourself, we need movies where you can let your hair down and switch off your brain. We cant be only watching things like Session 9 or Serbian Film (2 very diff movies but are still serious and make you think). I loved P 3D and cant wait for next one but as Aja will not be directing it wont be as good as you can tell this is a Aja film.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 22nd December 2010, 10:35 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

I watched Frightmare last night. I found it quite talky and was pretty disappointing. I was expecting a lot more action and gore based on the box. I'm surpries this is still an 18 cert. Anyone know if its a case of it not being resubmitted to he BBFC or is it still classed as 18?
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:52 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
I can understand why people would put that in the worst of 2010 list BUT they are taking it way to serious OR have no sense of fun.

If you go in expecting nothing then you will have a laugh and enjoy yourself, we need movies where you can let your hair down and switch off your brain. We cant be only watching things like Session 9 or Serbian Film (2 very diff movies but are still serious and make you think). I loved P 3D and cant wait for next one but as Aja will not be directing it wont be as good as you can tell this is a Aja film.
it is one of the worst films of the year cinematically, but it sure was fun, i did enjoy, it was pure B movie entertainment. What im a bit surprised at is how Aja Can make Switchblade romance, Hills Have Eyes and Mirrors, all very good well made horrors in my opinion, then this which to be honest doesn't seem to have had the level of professionalism put into it, like i said though, i definitly recommend renting for a great night of cheesy entertainment but to pay nearly 20.00 for it is a bit of no no in my eyes...
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:59 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

also watched Scott Pilgrim Vs The World which absolutely blew me away, very funny well directed by Edgar Wright and well acted by all. Will appeal to gamers for it's many many nods to old school arcade games. Highly recommend this film.

Still Have Death Race 2 and The Last Exorcism to watch....
Old 23rd December 2010, 12:06 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
it is one of the worst films of the year cinematically, but it sure was fun, i did enjoy, it was pure B movie entertainment. What im a bit surprised at is how Aja Can make Switchblade romance, Hills Have Eyes and Mirrors, all very good well made horrors in my opinion, then this which to be honest doesn't seem to have had the level of professionalism put into it, like i said though, i definitly recommend renting for a great night of cheesy entertainment but to pay nearly 20.00 for it is a bit of no no in my eyes...
yeah although mirrors remake had a really shitty script and the movie itself was not very good BUT I loved most of it apart from the end fight cause it was so atmospheric and so Aja. The gore was awesome!

£20 for P3D is a lot, atm its £15 for the blu on HMV and after discount and voucher I can get it for £8.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 23rd December 2010, 12:11 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
it is one of the worst films of the year cinematically
I thought it was very efficient and skilfully done - very well made indeed. The acting was fine, the script was witty and well written, the atmosphere ideal. I can't see anything at all to complain about with this excellent film. I thought it was one of the best comedy horror films I've seen in years. But each to their own!

I think it was a big step-up from the OK but disappointing "Mirrors" remake he did.
Old 23rd December 2010, 12:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I thought it was very efficient and skilfully done - very well made indeed. The acting was fine, the script was witty and well written, the atmosphere ideal. I can't see anything at all to complain about with this excellent film. I thought it was one of the best comedy horror films I've seen in years. But each to their own!

I think it was a big step-up from the OK but disappointing "Mirrors" remake he did.

I did enjoy mirrors as it still had the atmosphere and gore that aja is known for but Kiefer turning into Jack Bauer was a bit silly and the script was bad at the best of times.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 23rd December 2010, 12:26 PM
Ex-member

Default What films have you seen recently?

Saw my favourite film again last night
De Palma's brilliant SCARFACE
Pacino is excellent in this great piece of film making from one of my fave directors
Giorgio Moroder's opening and especially ending score is fantastic
'Never get high on your own supply'
Old 23rd December 2010, 11:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Tonight I watched Bay Of Blood. Great film, I love Bava's style of film making. I started watching the italian version, but then switched to the english version for the better picture. What is the difference in each print? Is it just the language or are there different scenes and what not?
The ending was great too.

Like this? Share it using the links below!