Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree342Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th September 2013, 12:53 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
That's the best part of being a fan. Trying to rationalise it. And said summation is appropriate in real world terms so, yeah, go figure.
That's also why I enjoy movies like The Shining, Donnie Darko and The Beyond, I've over analyzed them so much to the point I have these near perfect explanations in my head of why things happen.

Except that Donnie Darko's is actually a proper explanation I've confirmed through reading writings of the director. Also, Just to spite teachers I know who do it for film study. Nothing pisses a teacher off more than feeling them something has a single straight forward meaning.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 5th September 2013, 12:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Another example of complete bollocks in a film-How the **** does Jack get out of the food store in the Shining after Wendy has locked him in, Grady is obviously nothing more than a ghost and nobody else is there
fuzzymctiger likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 5th September 2013, 01:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Another example of complete bollocks in a film-How the **** does Jack get out of the food store in the Shining after Wendy has locked him in, Grady is obviously nothing more than a ghost and nobody else is there
My theory is that the hotel itself is an entity, causing a fair few of the things, changing stuff etc.

But by what you're saying, it's effectively same way ghosts shouldn't be able to dress up the gold room, or spill alcohol on a person. Kubrick himself has said that Grady unlocked the door, so we're going to have to go with ghosts being able to so things, which also explains Danny being strangled by the woman in 237

Old 5th September 2013, 01:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
My theory is that the hotel itself is an entity, causing a fair few of the things, changing stuff etc.

But by what you're saying, it's effectively same way ghosts shouldn't be able to dress up the gold room, or spill alcohol on a person. Kubrick himself has said that Grady unlocked the door, so we're going to have to go with ghosts being able to so things, which also explains Danny being strangled by the woman in 237
Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I think it's a piss poor adaption, I'm pretty sure half of the stuff Kubrick put in isn't from the book. Still a great film though, but the book is tonnes better
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 5th September 2013, 01:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I think it's a piss poor adaption, I'm pretty sure half of the stuff Kubrick put in isn't from the book. Still a great film though, but the book is tonnes better
I just ignore the fact it's an adaption. Nearly all of Kubrick's films are based off some kind of writing, but I imagine all differ a lot, including him changing the ending of Clockwork Orange.

With a lot of movies I see, I end up wanting to read the book, but with The Shining, I have no intentions of reading the book anytime soon.

As my mum says, I was "polluted" by the movie, like she was with Blade Runner, and well me too really, so reading the book will never seem right.
Rik and ArgentoFan1987 like this.

Old 5th September 2013, 01:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
I just ignore the fact it's an adaption. Nearly all of Kubrick's films are based off some kind of writing, but I imagine all differ a lot, including him changing the ending of Clockwork Orange.

With a lot of movies I see, I end up wanting to read the book, but with The Shining, I have no intentions of reading the book anytime soon.

As my mum says, I was "polluted" by the movie, like she was with Blade Runner, and well me too really, so reading the book will never seem right.
True enough, I read the books for all 3 of the films you've mentioned after seeing the films and the films were never the same again. I wouldn't recommend reading the Shining then, because you'll pick faults with the film like I have
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 5th September 2013, 01:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
True enough, I read the books for all 3 of the films you've mentioned after seeing the films and the films were never the same again. I wouldn't recommend reading the Shining then, because you'll pick faults with the film like I have
I love The Shining movie too much to pick faults in it, so I may take your advice.

One book I did read after the movie, and was thankful for it, was Fight Club. The movie actually helped me understand the fragmented mess the book was, and the little difference actually made the book interesting, and I haven't picked any faults or difference the 10 times I've seen it since
Rik likes this.

Old 5th September 2013, 01:48 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I'm not sure why, but I'm (generally) able to treat the book and film as separate entities, so reading The Shining didn't spoil the film (and vice versa), same goes with Blade Runner/Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Fight Club, Misery, Hellraiser, The Exorcist etc, etc.
Wes likes this.
Old 5th September 2013, 02:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'm not sure why, but I'm (generally) able to treat the book and film as separate entities, so reading The Shining didn't spoil the film (and vice versa), same goes with Blade Runner/Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Fight Club, Misery, Hellraiser, The Exorcist etc, etc.
Yeah, me too... a good example would be American Psycho, a book which was considered unfilmable - at least it was in 2000, but against all odds Mary Harron turned out a really fantastic movie, sidestepping the real hardcore stuff in the book but retaining Bret Easton Ellis' wicked satirical streak. I think both compliment each other nicely...
Old 5th September 2013, 02:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Yeah, me too... a good example would be American Psycho, a book which was considered unfilmable - at least it was in 2000, but against all odds Mary Harron turned out a really fantastic movie, sidestepping the real hardcore stuff in the book but retaining Bret Easton Ellis' wicked satirical streak. I think both compliment each other nicely...
I recently reread American Psycho (and watched the film), I still think even 13 years later that it's an unfilmable book, even with all the recent Saw/Hostel type films showing mass amounts of gore, I highly doubt anyone would want to tackle some of the imagery in it, kudos to Mary Harron though, she did a cracking job
Wes likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!