Like Tree342Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th September 2013, 11:07 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
People really seem to like Baz Luhrmann but I for one can't freaking stand his movies! Moulin Rouge is one of the biggest pieces of shite I've ever forced myself to endure, Australia and Romeo +* Juliet are also abysmal. I couldn't even bring myself to give The great Gatsby the chance. Awful, wishy washy, self loving nonsense with puddle deep symbolism for teenage girls who think they're hip. Utter gong.

*And seriously?
Quote:
No. It was just very boring to me. As in for 2 hours nothing of value happened, and none of the characters went through any development what so ever. That's the true definition of "dull".

And as for TGG, i'm not willing to give it the time of day. I wont like it, I know I wont like it. So why should I bother?
Yet you can pass judgement on it as you did in the post above.

As for Australia, the plot at the end was vastly different to the story at the beginning, and there was actually a lot of character development especially in the character of the drover. The fact that the film began as a western and ended as a war film makes me think you haven't seen this either if you think nothing happened.
Old 6th September 2013, 11:20 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I hated Moulin Rouge but really liked Australia – it's probably Baz Luhrmann's most accessible film – and went to see The Great Gatsby with an open mind having re-read the novel and thought it was good with superb visuals and excellent portrayal of Gatsby by Leonardo DiCaprio. However, the portrayal of the subtexts in the story was a little heavy-handed.
Old 6th September 2013, 01:04 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Yet you can pass judgement on it as you did in the post above.

As for Australia, the plot at the end was vastly different to the story at the beginning, and there was actually a lot of character development especially in the character of the drover. The fact that the film began as a western and ended as a war film makes me think you haven't seen this either if you think nothing happened.
I didn't pass judgement on TGG. I said I won't give it the chance. Because I know I wont like it. Rinse and repeat, this is going to go on and on.

And no, tone changes do not necessitate development. Hugh Jackman's character was he same arse hole at the beginning that he was at the end, and Kidman was stuck playing a bland character for 2 hours. A sad waste of talent. I can see why people like it, as I said previously, but hey just leave me could. I find them completely empty and vapid.

DVD and BD collection
Old 6th September 2013, 01:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I couldn't even bring myself to give The great Gatsby the chance. Awful, wishy washy, self loving nonsense with puddle deep symbolism for teenage girls who think they're hip. Utter gong.
Quote:
I didn't pass judgement on TGG. I said I won't give it the chance. Because I know I wont like it. Rinse and repeat, this is going to go on and on.
Perhaps you should read your own posts. If the first quote isn't passing judgement then i don't know what is.
Old 6th September 2013, 02:02 PM
Cult Addict

I was saying that Lurhmanns films in general are nonsense, poor framework on my part putting TGG bit where it was but you get the picture. I'm not a fan of hir work, it's just over emotional, emo nonsense to me. If you like them, fine, but why can't you accept the fact I might hate em?
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 6th September 2013, 02:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I was saying that Lurhmanns films in general are nonsense, poor framework on my part putting TGG bit where it was but you get the picture. I'm not a fan of hir work, it's just over emotional, emo nonsense to me. If you like them, fine, but why can't you accept the fact I might hate em?
Of course you are entitled to your opinion, thats what its all about.

Perhaps, as you say, you could word responses better, rather than blaming others when questioned on your discrepancies.

This ends here!

Old 6th September 2013, 02:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Jean Rollin. if A N Y O N E can point me in the direction of a decent (ie non sluggish) film of his, i still probably wouldnt thank you. there, ive said it. i feels much better now doctor
best cure for insomnia yet.
This really surprised me Demoncrat.

I thought you were a fan of Rollin. It may just be me but i always think of Rollin and Franco in the same box, and i know you enjoy Franco.

Or do you??
Old 6th September 2013, 05:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Someone mentioned it in work today, and I thought of this thread, but I've never been warm on the original Piranha. I've probably seen Humanoids from the Deep more times than Joe Dante's film which might well be an upside down state of affairs in anyone else's book. If someone was to ask me what I didn't like about the film, I really couldn't say - even though it's been a few years since I've seen the film I can't remember a damn thing about it...
Old 17th September 2013, 07:53 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Someone mentioned it in work today, and I thought of this thread, but I've never been warm on the original Piranha. I've probably seen Humanoids from the Deep more times than Joe Dante's film which might well be an upside down state of affairs in anyone else's book. If someone was to ask me what I didn't like about the film, I really couldn't say - even though it's been a few years since I've seen the film I can't remember a damn thing about it...
I also much prefer Humanoids to Piranha.

Piranha is pretty good, not a classic by any means, but certainly better than the glossy boob-infused remake.
Old 17th September 2013, 08:03 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
...better than the glossy boob-infused remake.
Which I bought cheap in a mad fit and instantly regretted it, and tossed it to one side. I really should watch it one of the days...

Like this? Share it using the links below!