Like Tree3653Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th January 2016, 07:41 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Cineworld is apparently not screening Tarantino's The Hateful Eight in the UK

Looks like I wont be seeing Tarantino on the big screen because Cineworld (who own Picturehouse (my local)) have thrown their toys out of the pram due to Odeon Leicester Square showing a 70mm print. Even though we have an Odeon in town it's always full of ruffians and I'd rather not go there!
On my first viewing i was not impressed. I seem to be in the minority in my thinking but i felt some scenes were just dragged out for the sake of it. I really enjoyed Django but that suffered from some dragging in parts also.
Old 5th January 2016, 07:59 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Cineworld is apparently not screening Tarantino's The Hateful Eight in the UK

Looks like I wont be seeing Tarantino on the big screen because Cineworld (who own Picturehouse (my local)) have thrown their toys out of the pram due to Odeon Leicester Square showing a 70mm print. Even though we have an Odeon in town it's always full of ruffians and I'd rather not go there!
I won't be seeing it for a while either. As I have a Cineworld Unlimited card, I'm loath to pay money to another cinema chain when things could be resolved in a fortnight and Star Wars has mostly gone away. I read something like that happened previously, possibly with one of the Mission: Impossible films. I would like to think enough pressure from customers, sponsors and people like Harvey Weinstein and Quentin Tarantino would force some sort of resolution in order to maximise profits and ensure as many people see it as possible – it's having enough problems going up against Star Wars anyway.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 5th January 2016, 08:07 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

When I do see The Hateful Eight, I hope it's brilliant. However, I am prepared for three hours of Tarantino's favourite actors being characters rather than as characters (there's a distinction) spouting dialogue with sounds cool and references films Tarantino months.

The basic premise sounds very similar to Reservoir Dogs, only about twice the length!
Justin101 likes this.
Old 5th January 2016, 08:37 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
When I do see The Hateful Eight, I hope it's brilliant. However, I am prepared for three hours of Tarantino's favourite actors being characters rather than as characters (there's a distinction) spouting dialogue with sounds cool and references films Tarantino months.

The basic premise sounds very similar to Reservoir Dogs, only about twice the length!

Think Reservoir Dogs crossed with The Thing, with Kurt Russell doing his best Duke Wayne impression, and you're pretty much there. Almost 3hrs long (non roadshow version), and I didn't find that it dragged for a single second. Walton Goggins, who I've been a huge fan of since he came to fame as Shane Vendrell in The Shield, steals the film.
Old 5th January 2016, 08:41 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Think Reservoir Dogs crossed with The Thing, with Kurt Russell doing his best Duke Wayne impression, and you're pretty much there. Almost 3hrs long (non roadshow version), and I didn't find that it dragged for a single second. Walton Goggins, who I've been a huge fan of since he came to fame as Shane Vendrell in The Shield, steals the film.
I hope it's as good as you say, and better than Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained which I – a few scenes aside – found dull, overlong, and self-indulgent
Old 5th January 2016, 08:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I'm a big Tarantino fan, so I'm looking forward to seeing it and in reply to Gags post, I've enjoyed all the Transformers films too, so I'm looking forward to that as well, don't get all the hate Michael Bay gets tbh
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 5th January 2016, 08:52 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
I won't be seeing it for a while either. As I have a Cineworld Unlimited card, I'm loath to pay money to another cinema chain when things could be resolved in a fortnight and Star Wars has mostly gone away. I read something like that happened previously, possibly with one of the Mission: Impossible films. I would like to think enough pressure from customers, sponsors and people like Harvey Weinstein and Quentin Tarantino would force some sort of resolution in order to maximise profits and ensure as many people see it as possible – it's having enough problems going up against Star Wars anyway.
I seem to remember something similar happening with Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, but for different reasons, that time it was to do with Disney wanting to release the DVD sooner than the cinemas would have liked!
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 5th January 2016, 08:53 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default Up and Coming Films

Quote:
I hope it's as good as you say, and better than Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained which I – a few scenes aside – found dull, overlong, and self-indulgent

It does have all his trademarks, including jumping between in time to show what happened (only in one scene if I recall), and even has a voiceover to tie it together. Although, I felt really stupid after because I had no idea it was Tarantino himself doing the voiceover (much preferrable to him appearing onscreen).

Last edited by Stephen@Cult Labs; 5th January 2016 at 09:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 5th January 2016, 08:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

I'm kind of finding Tarantino films hard to rewatch (Pulp Fiction aside). Loved Inglourious Basterds at the cinema but found it hard to get through since and I enjoyed Django at the cinema too but have felt no desire to rewatch it since.
Old 5th January 2016, 09:00 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I seem to remember something similar happening with Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, but for different reasons, that time it was to do with Disney wanting to release the DVD sooner than the cinemas would have liked!
That can't have been a delay and Cineworld, because I saw Alice in Wonderland at Cineworld during the opening week.

It could have been a similar squabble which was resolved prior to release and I didn't hear about at the time.

Like this? Share it using the links below!