Joker / Beetlejuice or terrifier 3?
Old 5th September 2024, 01:42 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Jo-Ann Titmarsh at 'The Standard' didn't think much of 'Joker: Folie a deux' when it was screened at the Venice Film Festival

Film review: depressingly dull and plodding

2* / 5*
Writing in The Guardian, Peter Bradshaw gave it 3/5 stars, saying:

"I found [Joker] bizarrely overpraised and overrated by saucer-eyed pundits, but it became a prize-winning sensation - and perpetuated the awards-season tradition of rewarding the idea of comedy on the strict understanding that it's not supposed to be funny.

Now the sequel is here, and though it ends up as strident, laborious and often flat-out tedious as the first film, there's an improvement. It's a musical, of sorts, with Phoenix and others warbling show tune standards, often in fantasy set pieces, a little in the way of Dennis Potter's Pennies from Heaven. This gives it structure and flavour that the first film didn't have."

For Deadline, Pete Hammond was much more positive, saying:

"Production values across the board are excellent, particularly returning Lawrence Sher's cinematography, the production design of Mark Friedberg, and costumes from Arianna Phillips. Hildur Gudnadottir's score for the first Joker was so integral to the story it won an Oscar. Here she hits just the right notes again. Musically we should point out contributions of executive music producer Jason Ruder and supervisors Randall Poster and George Drakoulias. The mix of songs is artful.

Phillips likely could not have foretold the explosion of the musical form in unexpected ways this season, but with The End, Better Man, Emelia Perez and Piece by Piece all exciting Telluride audiences over the weekend, it is clear that the genre is igniting a new era of innovation. Phillips, with today's world premiere at the Venice Film Festival, where the 2019 Joker took the Golden Lion, has added his own voice to its evolution. With song, dance, comedy, darkness, animation, drama, violence and more, this is a musical - if it even is a musical - like no other.

That's entertainment, too."

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 5th September 2024 at 01:53 PM.
Old 5th September 2024, 02:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Which one?
Joker / Beetlejuice or terrifier 3?
Beetlejuice.
Old 5th September 2024, 06:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Beetlejuice.
Why? I've seen quite a lot of reviews so don't see any reason why? It's out in cinema tomorrow.
Old 6th September 2024, 05:59 AM
Cult Acolyte

There is no way some 35+ year sequel is going to be better than the original.
This has never happened ever in the history of anything.
Old 6th September 2024, 08:59 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
There is no way some 35+ year sequel is going to be better than the original.
This has never happened ever in the history of anything.
Quite a few ppl like blade runner 2049 better than blade runner,
Also new Top gun film,
Dune the 2nd part .

Godfather II
Empire strikes back
Back to future II
John wick films
Aliens
Raid 2

Just a handfull of older and new films since 2000 that have rave reviews and ppl like better than the original.
Old 6th September 2024, 10:36 AM
Cult Acolyte

None of that latter group were made decades later.
Old 6th September 2024, 10:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
None of that latter group were made decades later.
Tbh 99% of films made yrs later might be ok, but none has the same appeal or charm that made the original great, personally I think they just can't make films as good as they used to. There might be a lot of good films about but give me pre-2000 any day of the week over most films made after 2000. a lot of films might be good but in comparison they've lost the plot.
Old 6th September 2024, 10:51 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Tbh 99% of films made yrs later might be ok, but none has the same appeal or charm that made the original great, personally I think they just can't make films as good as they used to. There might be a lot of good films about but give me pre-2000 any day of the week over most films made after 2000. a lot of films might be good but in comparison they've lost the plot.
They can make films as good as they used to, they just don't. Much of the time the stuff that fills our multiplexes is just here today gone tomorrow popcorn fodder. Especially since Covid everything seems to have really dumbed down.

Whilst there are a few excellent films that hit multiplexes in recent years such as Top Gun Maverick and Oppenheimer (Going off word of mouth and critical opinion here as i still haven't seen it) there certainly are nowhere near as many as the 90's which for me was the last truly great decade for cinema. In fact far superior to the 80's.
Old 6th September 2024, 11:45 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
They can make films as good as they used to, they just don't. Much of the time the stuff that fills our multiplexes is just here today gone tomorrow popcorn fodder. Especially since Covid everything seems to have dumbed down.

Whilst there are a few excellent films that hit multiplexes in recent years such as Top Gun Maverick and Oppenheimer (Going off word of mouth and critical opinion here as i still haven't seen it) there certainly are nowhere near as many as the 90's which for me was the last truly great decade for cinema. In fact far superior to the 80's.
I agree with 90s being the last decade for good cinema, I used to go quite often years ago, but not much grabs me enough now to go, but I am going to go and watch the new Beetlejuice film,
Me personally I can't stand and despise all this Micheal Bay style film making playing up to the audience with how much crash bang wallop more Boom Ott unbelievable action than you can shake a shitty stick at, driving along a falling rope bridge, driving off the edge of a cliff into nowhere to be saved by a magnetic plane it just gets ridiculous and soulless at least films yrs ago with Ott action had some sense of realism, today's is just daft it's ridiculous if ppl want soulless popcorn garbage then fair play but me I'm out. Just more and more films are going that way these days, yrs ago when making a sequel they just made it today they trying to see how much further they can go than the last one in action, violence, gore, etc etc
There's not many films since 2000 have several repeat viewings to me, but films like
kes
Jason and argonauts
Jaws
The warriors
Scum
Westworld
Wizard of oz
And plenty of films could watch all day long over and over again.

Now when flicking through prime, Netflix ordinary tv I struggle to find anything enough to grab without constantly wasting time flicking through.

Last edited by gag; 6th September 2024 at 11:59 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!