Like Tree1024Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th September 2014, 11:59 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Really can't wait for my copy of this to arrive (hopefully next week), reading some of these reviews makes me want to dip into it myself
Surely the idea is to make you watch the films.... not read the book.
Old 6th September 2014, 12:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Surely the idea is to make you watch the films.... not read the book.
That's what I meant, dip into it to seek out the films myself
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 6th September 2014, 12:35 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I don't need the book.

I've got Bizarre_Eye.

Someone who's reviews i trust. I may not always agree, but i know where he's coming from.
Quote:
He is doing a stellar job
Aw, shucks...
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 7th September 2014, 06:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

I know the reprinted version was supposed to be out end of August,has anyone received there's yet? Or has it been put back,tis now September you know.
Old 7th September 2014, 06:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondadoronron View Post
I know the reprinted version was supposed to be out end of August,has anyone received there's yet? Or has it been put back,tis now September you know.
It's due to ship any day now according to Harvey at FAB Press
Rondadoronron likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 7th September 2014, 08:48 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Evilspeak (1981)

Evilspeak (1981)
Sorry to Mr B.E. for jumping the gun on to the E's but i watched this again last night so its still fresh in my head-box.
I remember watching this eons ago in those hazy crazy days of the 80's,beta-max i believe I had at the time,a bloody great big piano of a machine which i got from my parents after they bought a whammy all singing all dancing Vhs machine.
Any how little Ron left to his own devices rented everything that look the business,and Evilspeak had a rather fetching cover if i remember correctly.
I don't think I had watched it since those halcyon days of yore,so this recent re-visit was filled with some trepidation,could this film live up to those gory blood lusting days of my teenage years.
And I was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable this horror revenge tale was and how absorbed I got with Clint Howard's put upon character (Stanley Coopersmith). Even his little puppy gets a pummeling,so its hardly surprising he would turn to computer inspired satanism to get revenge.
Even the fact that his computer and monitor was the size of a bungalow did not put me off this movie,and the graphics which were rudimentary at best even then, works within the confines of the story.
I think what sell's the movie for me is Clint Howard,who puts in an Oscar winning performance,he goes thru all the usual agonies of being bullied by his peers and takes refuge within the basement of the church within the military academy he's at.We also get some great characters in supporting roles,R.G Armstrong as Sarge a drunk bullying caretaker,and Lenny Montana as kind hearted chef who takes pity on Stanley Coopersmith and gives him a puppy.
The director Eric Weston gives us a real class act with this film,the story and characterization are spot on,the film has pace , pathos and gore.
What more do you want,answers on a postcard send to Cult Labs please mark for the attention of Dems.
Old 8th September 2014, 10:50 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Curse of Bigfoot (1976)

A mummified Bigfoot is reawakened by a group of archeological students on a field trip. Once reanimated the creature starts laying waste to a small California town.

An interesting 'Bigfoot meets The Mummy' premise is marred slightly by the overly-padded story and over-use of narration, to the extent you often feel as if you're flipping between low budget horror and nature documentary throughout.

The main stand-out factor is the creature design, which is quite radical and projects a 'wolf man with leprosy' vibe rather than your traditional ape-man look.

Despite the film trying to be a little more original and putting a different spin on the tried and tested Bigfoot formula, the overall result is sadly a little lacking. I think some of this can be attributed to the fact that pieces of the film appeared as 'Teenagers Battle the Thing', an incomplete work made in 1958, but it's also clear that some of the '70s additions take their toll too.
Old 8th September 2014, 11:04 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I was going to review Bloody Moon, but I can't get the disc to play in my machine (even though it's region free)
Old 8th September 2014, 11:08 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
I was going to review Bloody Moon, but I can't get the disc to play in my machine (even though it's region free)
That's strange. You may have a faulty disc? Have you another machine to try it in case it's your machine/firmware?
Old 8th September 2014, 11:10 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondadoronron View Post
Sorry to Mr B.E. for jumping the gun on to the E's but i watched this again last night so its still fresh in my head-box.
No need to apologise, just because I'm adhering to a rough alphabetical approach, it doesn't mean anyone else has to!
Rondadoronron likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!