All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd October 2023, 08:50 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I don't know if possibly I got a bit more from this one than you Nord but on the whole your review is on the money. In particular your comment on the lead. What an atrocious bit of poor casting.
It's really hard to be sold on a film when the lead actor is so bad I was so distracted by how awkward he was in all of his scenes.
Old 2nd October 2023, 09:05 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
It's really hard to be sold on a film when the lead actor is so bad I was so distracted by how awkward he was in all of his scenes.
It's a film that really needs investment in the characters. That guy, Joel Fry I think his name is, just didn't belong. I've seen him in other stuff and he's fine. But a lead role as a scientific researcher??? Not a chance.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 2nd October 2023, 10:40 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
It's a film that really needs investment in the characters. That guy, Joel Fry I think his name is, just didn't belong. I've seen him in other stuff and he's fine. But a lead role as a scientific researcher??? Not a chance.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

That's where I know him from Game Of Thrones and I didn't like him in that either.
Old 3rd October 2023, 01:30 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Blood from the Mummy’s Tomb (1971)

A delirious Hammer adaptation of Bram Stoker's The Jewel of Seven Stars starring a beautiful and half naked Valerie Leon as Margaret the reincarnation of ancient Egyptian Queen Tara, who because of some kind of genre movie hokum has to find three relics stolen from her tomb in order to come back to life, and do what exactly?
I've watched this many times growing up and am still not sure what the story is, something always distracts me.
Mummies are my least favourite classic monster, but this is one of my favourite Hammer films, and probably favourite mummy film, had a massive crush on Valerie Leon from as far back as I can remember, the original yummy mummy.

This scene always makes my eyes water...ahem.

vl2.jpg

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 3rd October 2023, 02:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE ASYLUM – Or ‘Exeter’, if you must. Marcus Nispel has a few credits to his name – his noughties refashionings of ‘Texas Chainsaw’ and ‘Friday The 13th’ were both good, I think. On the other hand, ‘The Asylum’ is just garbage. I had better mention that it’s actually at least moderately entertaining garbage, so it has that in its favour, although it sort of doesn’t deserve to. Why do I sound so offended? ‘The Asylum’ resembles the scrapings of the most generic noughties teen-centric commercial horror mashed together with no regard for even basic comprehensibility, structured around a tick list of genre cliches that it tries to disown by resorting to patronising nod-winkery (at one point, they use an app based on ‘The Exorcist’ – f@ck off). Its characters are bland and irritating, and what happens to them is uninteresting until the film gets truly laughable. Said laughability aside, there is no imagination on display, just a reliance on horror film fallbacks – the abandoned asylum, the kids who wanna get down and party only to fall foul of etc, the dark backstory of forbidden experimentation and so on. I know, I know, how many movies possessing exactly the same traits have I gushed about? Loads, but I’m either basically a hypocrite or ‘The Asylum’ just seemed to get it twice as wrong. No, the real reason I was annoyed, but also the reason why ‘The Asylum’ might be quite interesting in a way, is because I wasn’t expecting a movie with such obvious technical clout to be so badly made. It’s clearly comfortably resourced judging by the roll call and overall ‘look’, but its creative decisions seem to belong to a film from much further down the budgetary scale – like, SOV level. I’m not just talking about the content as per the above. There’s a fundamental incoherence about it that really grates, as if the director, editor, cinematographer and writer were all off doing different films, resulting in a choppy lack of togetherness that after a while starts to fascinate. Other things exert a bit of pull – there’s some tasty gore, the whole thing looks attractive, full of nicely posed scenes of lovingly curated decrepitude and dereliction et cetera, and the flaky plot twists are zany enough. If you can get a few cheap laughs and some cheaper thrills, and I can, maybe that’s enough, because basically ‘The Asylum’ is moderately glossy dreck that somehow feels like it stops short of being an actual movie.
Old 3rd October 2023, 03:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Saw X. 2023.

Tobin Bell returns as John "Jigsaw" Kramer, and has plenty of screen time as it focuses entirely on the character. This one you feel sympathy for the character and everything is well deserved and baically a whole set of thinking on your feet and go with what you can traps. Certainly enjoyable and a little cringeworthy moment or two.

saw-x-button-1690667966214.jpg
Old 3rd October 2023, 03:55 PM
Cult Master

IMG_20231003_164942.jpg IMG_20231003_165208.jpg

Saw this today I had to have it and he lights up

The first picture really doesn't do justice to how cool it actually looks
Old 3rd October 2023, 04:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 248179 Attachment 248180

Saw this today I had to have it and he lights up

The first picture really doesn't do justice to how cool it actually looks
Where did you find that, Nordy?
Old 3rd October 2023, 05:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
THE ASYLUM – Or ‘Exeter’, if you must. Marcus Nispel has a few credits to his name – his noughties refashionings of ‘Texas Chainsaw’ and ‘Friday The 13th’ were both good, I think. On the other hand, ‘The Asylum’ is just garbage. I had better mention that it’s actually at least moderately entertaining garbage, so it has that in its favour, although it sort of doesn’t deserve to. Why do I sound so offended? ‘The Asylum’ resembles the scrapings of the most generic noughties teen-centric commercial horror mashed together with no regard for even basic comprehensibility, structured around a tick list of genre cliches that it tries to disown by resorting to patronising nod-winkery (at one point, they use an app based on ‘The Exorcist’ – f@ck off). Its characters are bland and irritating, and what happens to them is uninteresting until the film gets truly laughable. Said laughability aside, there is no imagination on display, just a reliance on horror film fallbacks – the abandoned asylum, the kids who wanna get down and party only to fall foul of etc, the dark backstory of forbidden experimentation and so on. I know, I know, how many movies possessing exactly the same traits have I gushed about? Loads, but I’m either basically a hypocrite or ‘The Asylum’ just seemed to get it twice as wrong. No, the real reason I was annoyed, but also the reason why ‘The Asylum’ might be quite interesting in a way, is because I wasn’t expecting a movie with such obvious technical clout to be so badly made. It’s clearly comfortably resourced judging by the roll call and overall ‘look’, but its creative decisions seem to belong to a film from much further down the budgetary scale – like, SOV level. I’m not just talking about the content as per the above. There’s a fundamental incoherence about it that really grates, as if the director, editor, cinematographer and writer were all off doing different films, resulting in a choppy lack of togetherness that after a while starts to fascinate. Other things exert a bit of pull – there’s some tasty gore, the whole thing looks attractive, full of nicely posed scenes of lovingly curated decrepitude and dereliction et cetera, and the flaky plot twists are zany enough. If you can get a few cheap laughs and some cheaper thrills, and I can, maybe that’s enough, because basically ‘The Asylum’ is moderately glossy dreck that somehow feels like it stops short of being an actual movie.
I saw this last December. I've also still got the Blu-ray so i must have got something from it. Isn't it the film where basically everything that could happen does happen?
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 3rd October 2023, 06:32 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Where did you find that, Nordy?
They are selling them where I work.

Like this? Share it using the links below!