Like Tree27205Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th October 2024, 06:48 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 10th

Needful Things (1993)

Excellent adaptation of Stephen King's sprawling and brutally dark novel. There's both black comedy and bloody thrills and a standout performance from the late, great Max Von Sydow as Leland Gaunt, a mysterious man who opens his shop full of things that the people of Castle Rock find they can't live without and thus enter into vengeful pacts against one another as way of payment.

As the film goes on the acts turn from mere pranks to deadly situations culminating in a final showdown in the streets between Gaunt and Ed Harris' sheriff in a fiery finale.

The film plays out in almost episodic format to begin with but as events escalate (Some are genuinely horrific) the film grips you with it's icy cold clutches and doesn't let go.

As well as Harris, there are fine performances from Bonnie Bedelia, a repressed Amanda Plummer and a bonkers J.T. Walsh, but the film belongs to Von Sydow who captures his character (no spoilers) perfectly.

Scarecrow (2002)

A loner who is constantly bullied both at high school and home is eventually murdered by one of his mothers lovers in a cornfield but his tortured soul enters a scarecrow and returns to wreak his bloody revenge.

A disappointing low budget slasher which i've seen a few times over the years but probably not in the last ten and i can't see me hurrying back to. One of those films where the more interesting scenes come early on when things centre around school life and becomes less interesting when it goes all slasher movie. There are a few gory kills but it lacks any sort of tension and sadly even Tiffany Shepis can't save this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg le-bazaar-de-l-epouvante_90588_26950.jpg (38.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg lester2.jpg (71.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 13th October 2024, 07:48 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Needful Things (1993)

Excellent adaptation of Stephen King's sprawling and brutally dark novel. There's both black comedy and bloody thrills and a standout performance from the late, great Max Von Sydow as Leland Gaunt, a mysterious man who opens his shop full of things that the people of Castle Rock find they can't live without and thus enter into vengeful pacts against one another as way of payment.

As the film goes on the acts turn from mere pranks to deadly situations culminating in a final showdown in the streets between Gaunt and Ed Harris' sheriff in a fiery finale.

The film plays out in almost episodic format to begin with but as events escalate (Some are genuinely horrific) the film grips you with it's icy cold clutches and doesn't let go.

As well as Harris, there are fine performances from Bonnie Bedelia, a repressed Amanda Plummer and a bonkers J.T. Walsh, but the film belongs to Von Sydow who captures his character (no spoilers) perfectly.

Scarecrow (2002)

A loner who is constantly bullied both at high school and home is eventually murdered by one of his mothers lovers in a cornfield but his tortured soul enters a scarecrow and returns to wreak his bloody revenge.

A disappointing low budget slasher which i've seen a few times over the years but probably not in the last ten and i can't see me hurrying back to. One of those films where the more interesting scenes come early on when things centre around school life and becomes less interesting when it goes all slasher movie. There are a few gory kills but it lacks any sort of tension and sadly even Tiffany Shepis can't save this one.
I haven't seen Needful Things for years. I'd like to watch it again. Another disc that doesn't seem to be readily available cheaply.
Old 13th October 2024, 09:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I haven't seen Needful Things for years. I'd like to watch it again. Another disc that doesn't seem to be readily available cheaply.
I just have the American dvd.
Old 14th October 2024, 11:44 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
What did you watch it for if it always bores you.
Ah FFS auto correct strikes again.
Old 14th October 2024, 02:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

SATAN'S BLACK WEDDING - What a joy to finally see some Nick Millard on blu ray! I speak as a convert who's had a real yen for 'Satan's Black Wedding' ever since the Shock-o-Rama DVD of yore. Like its companion 'Criminally Insane', 'Satan's Black Wedding' is a threadbare piece of seventies drive-in whose amateurish veneer conceals something more mysterious. A young actor (dime store Elvis-alike Greg Braddock ) heads out to North LA to make sense of his sister's suicide; learning of her occult ties, he uncovers a trail that leads to a sinister church. The plot might sound as shabby and throwaway as any other seventies cheapie, but as we watch the credits roll over that Goya painting, we sense the stirrings of a dark atmosphere that surpasses the usual B-movie string pulling. What's behind the tone is hard to pinpoint; skeletal shivers of the piano score, windchimes dancing over valleys of mist, swish seventies interiors looking soulless and bloody in the aftermath of hilltop murder - it's trashy but it's arty. There are dialog scenes where everyone's head looks framed out of kilter, conversations made up of pauses, trees always rustling in the wind, and the lapses of competence, which are possibly even more numerous than those offered up by the usual grindhouse fodder, seem more eerie than amusing (those plastic vampire tusks might look like a joke but slip them in the middle of a brutal house invasion backed by Moonlight Sonata and no-one's laughing anymore). This weirdly abstract haze of unease finally settles in the crypt beneath the church, in a downer conclusion that at least makes sense of the title.
Old 14th October 2024, 03:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Blood On Satan's Claw. 1971.

Piers Haggard's take on the devil and small village manages to create terror right from the beginning that throws you into the film with no hesitation. The mood is a very big key to this film's success in pulling you in with its pervasively chilling and subtle imprint. Visually, Haggard manages to create a beautifully staged period horror by capturing the times and making the most of it's brooding countryside and quiet rural life. What gave it such an embracing atmosphere. The beautiful backdrop works rather well with the contrast to the devilishly acts occurring in the peaceful area.

81tkwlyybRL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
Old 14th October 2024, 04:13 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Blood On Satan's Claw. 1971.

Piers Haggard's take on the devil and small village manages to create terror right from the beginning that throws you into the film with no hesitation. The mood is a very big key to this film's success in pulling you in with its pervasively chilling and subtle imprint. Visually, Haggard manages to create a beautifully staged period horror by capturing the times and making the most of it's brooding countryside and quiet rural life. What gave it such an embracing atmosphere. The beautiful backdrop works rather well with the contrast to the devilishly acts occurring in the peaceful area.

Attachment 252945
One of my favorites quite bleak and great atmosphere.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 14th October 2024, 05:04 PM
Cult Veteran

From over the weekend. Inadvertently watched TCM on it's 50th anniversary. Elm Street looks fantastic in 4k, and I forget how great that first film is when over the years I've rewatched 2 and 4 more than any

I watched The Hazing after Dem's review, I can't be as enthusiastic about it as he is, but it had it's moments

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th October 2024, 09:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 11th

Halloween II (2009)

Rob Zombie's Halloween II is a sadistic and brutal film helped by the fact Tyler Mane as Michael Myers is a genuinely frightening character, huge in build, incredibly powerful and shit scaring to look at, so much so that he makes other filmic Myers look like someone playing dress up in a cheap Captain Kirk mask.

The film goes in depth as to how the events of two years previous affected the survivors. From Malcolm McDowell's Loomis attempting to make money from his experiences trying to flog his book based on the first film's story to Laurie attempting to get her life back together and then we have her complex psychological connection to Michael.

Whilst Laurie (Scout Taylor-Compton) - I love what Zombie has done with the character - rather standing up to and wanting to face Myers, Taylor-Compton does what the majority of us would do were Michael to start brandishing that bloody great kitchen knife, and hide under a desk until he'd gone.

Despite all the darkness and white horses (A part of the film i've come to appreciate rather than despise as i once did) the film has some reasonable humour. Funniest bit - Loomis is on a tv chat show promoting his book and fellow guest Weird Al Yankovic chips in asking "I'm a little confused. Are we talking about the Austin Powers Mike Myers or is this someone else?

Having just bought this Blu-ray i found out that it was a title that people elsewhere had found it to stutter and or freeze like some other EIV titles so had to watch it immediately in case it was being returned. Thankfully the disc played without any issues whatsoever and looked and sounded great.

I'll keep hold of the dvd though. Just in case

All Hallows' Eve (2013)

Decent portmanteau horror about a babysitter who decides to watch a video cassette that had been left in one of her charges Halloween goodie bags.

Although let down at times by lack of budget All Hallows' Eve isn't bad at all. We have demonic creatures, aliens and Art the clown - a breakout star who ended up with his own movie series including this years Terrifier 3

The acting isn't the best although Katie Maguire is excellent as the babysitter. It's clear the film was made by people who have a passion for the genre as there are some beautifully gruesome gore sequences and becomes creepier throughout culminating in a clever idea as the final act.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jwCYHCvn421Fy7MA0abvOhc7woo.jpg (93.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg pic1.jpg (32.6 KB, 3 views)
Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Possession. 2012.

Something different from a Jewish folklore with a Dybbuk Box that holds a demon inside it in which a young girl opens the box and becomes inhabited by the demon. This may not be for everyone but I certainly enjoyed it. Jeffrey dean Morgan plays the parent who tries to get answers while dealing with a divorce and trying to convince his ex-wife that something is wrong until she sees it first hand and becomes a believer. One that has warmed up to me over the years.

p8640390_p_v13_bc.jpg

Aenigma. 1987.

A young girl is tormented by bullies at a posh girl boarding school and ends up in a coma. While in a coma she uses psychic powers to get revenge. This is a lesser gore film for Lucio Fulci but does try his best with what he can do even i it feels like watching Carrie and Patrick in one body and mind. The film can be confusing as it's never explained much how she manages to take control of another girl so she can get her revenge. It's not the best Fulci movie but not the worst.

MV5BMTMwMjU2M2QtYmI4OC00MzYzLWI5NjktMTZmMDM2ZGJhOWY1XkEyXkFqcGc@._V1_.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!