Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree566Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th September 2012, 12:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!

VicDakin likes this.
Old 28th September 2012, 12:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Please find below the two best reasons to watch The Return Of Captain Invincible imo:

Old 28th September 2012, 09:09 PM
Cult Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
One of the most over-rated bands in the world...but the guitar playing on this is really crazy, and one of my all time favourite songs

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 28th September 2012, 09:25 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Iron Maiden - Genghis Khan

Greetings!
Rik and Susan Foreman like this.
Old 28th September 2012, 09:27 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
One of the most over-rated bands in the world...but the guitar playing on this is really crazy, and one of my all time favourite songs
Nope, they aren't overrated. Eddie Van Halen is one of the most influential guitarists of all time, and his band always had a very distinct sound. Period.

Greetings!
Old 28th September 2012, 09:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Still my favourite Sonic Youth album, and the further we move from the 80's the better it sounds...

Make Them Die Slowly and Rik like this.
Old 28th September 2012, 09:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Nope, they aren't overrated. Eddie Van Halen is one of the most influential guitarists of all time, and his band always had a very distinct sound. Period.

Greetings!
Overrated fretwanker imo, nothing fancy or flash about playing far too many notes per bar or tapping the fretboard like a demented kid, give me Hendrix, Gilmour, Frusciante any day over Van Halen, Vai, Satch and don't even get me started on frigging Malmsteen!!
Susan Foreman likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 29th September 2012, 09:09 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Overrated fretwanker imo, nothing fancy or flash about playing far too many notes per bar or tapping the fretboard like a demented kid, give me Hendrix, Gilmour, Frusciante any day over Van Halen, Vai, Satch and don't even get me started on frigging Malmsteen!!
I don't know sh*t about his technique, and I hate Eruption passionately, but I simply like his genuine and distinct sound, especially on Van Halen's first two albums...

Greetings!
Old 29th September 2012, 09:24 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
One of the most over-rated bands in the world...but the guitar playing on this is really crazy, and one of my all time favourite songs.
I'm not a major league VH fan either but HFT is one of my faves and i love both Eddie's guitarwork and Alex's drum intro.
Old 29th September 2012, 09:45 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Eddie van Halen is not my favourite guitar player, though. There are other guys I prefer. Just to mention a few guitarists with a distinct sound that I like. Mind you, as I already said - "I may not know much about guitar techniques, but I know what I like!"

In no particular order:
- Glen Buxton (Alice Cooper) : very underrated chap
- Duane Allman (The Allman Brothers Band) : slide guitar king
- Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) : groove master
- B.B.King : very few notes, a lot of music
- Adrian Gurvitz (The Buddy Miles Band, Baker Gurvitz Army) : just listen to this, and you'll adore him the way I do:

- Mike Bloomfield (The Electric Flag) : Blues Master; not even Hendrix could play "Killing Floor" better!
- Tommy Bolin (Zephyr, Deep Purple, Billy Cobham) : Blues, Rock, Jazz - he could play any music and still sounded like Bolin
- Harvey Mandel / Alan Wilson (Canned Heat) : Future Blues is one of the best Blues Rock albums ever!
- Buddy Guy: one of the very best. Recorded epic stuff with Junior Wells.
- Rusty Day (Cactus): Heavy Rock master - love his version of "Evil".
- Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown (Professor Longhair) : I just love his tone!

- David Lindley : buy any record of his, and party! Happiest guitar music in the world!
- Vivian Campbell (Dio, Def Leppard): Dio's Holy Diver album - say no more!
- Pepper Keenan / Kirk Windstein (Down) : heaviest Guitar duo ever! Simply stunning!
- Mark Farner (Grand Funk Railroad): still one of my favourite bands - up to the "We're An American Band" album
- Hound Dog Taylor : no technique at all (I guess), but 399 % of feeling!
- Adrian Smith / Dave Murray (Iron Maiden) : no words needed!
- Joe Walsh (The James Gang, The Eagles) : I love his albums with the The James Gang, especially their Live album.
- John Hammond : the only white Blues guitarist to sound like a black Blues guitarist
- Angus Young / Malcolm Young (AC/DC) : very simple, yet very effective. That's Rock 'n' Roll reduced to its basic message!
- Ace Frehley / Paul Stanley (KISS) : see AC/DC.
- Magic Slim (Magic Slim & The Teardrops): there's Heavy Rock and there's Heavy Metal - Magic Slim invented Heavy Blues!
- Wayne Kramer / Fred "Sonic" Smith (MC5) : Kick out the Jams, motherf*ckers!

I stop here... there are so many more, but I don't think that too many people will be interested in a layman's list of guitar players...

Greetings!

Like this? Share it using the links below!