Like Tree16641Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th November 2016, 12:55 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I get the distinct feeling that retailers are getting fed-up of Black Friday and are trying to wind it down and keep it low key in order to phase it out even further next year.
Amazon don't have the timed deals like previous years. Well they do a bit but nowhere near the same amount which ran the full week every hour.
Justin101, keirarts and Graeme73 like this.
Old 25th November 2016, 12:56 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

To be honest, I don't think 88 is big enough to offer much in the way of Black Friday discounts – it's not exactly Amazon!

As the Autumn Statement made clear, this country isn't exactly overflowing with money and I would imagine because people do not have much in the way of disposable income, and because companies are trying to tighten their belts so can't offer big reductions, there will be less spent on Black Friday this year than in 2014 or '15.
Justin101, keirarts and Graeme73 like this.
Old 25th November 2016, 01:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
To be honest, I don't think 88 is big enough to offer much in the way of Black Friday discounts – it's not exactly Amazon!

As the Autumn Statement made clear, this country isn't exactly overflowing with money and I would imagine because people do not have much in the way of disposable income, and because companies are trying to tighten their belts so can't offer big reductions, there will be less spent on Black Friday this year than in 2014 or '15.
I don't know really.
It wouldn't surprise me if the news said record amounts had been spent in the run up to Christmas.

As for Black Friday. It's an American tradition so it can bugger off back there as far as i'm concerned. It wouldn't surprise me if they tried to push Thanksgiving over here in the near future.
Old 25th November 2016, 01:30 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I don't know really.
It wouldn't surprise me if the news said record amounts had been spent in the run up to Christmas.

As for Black Friday. It's an American tradition so it can bugger off back there as far as i'm concerned. It wouldn't surprise me if they tried to push Thanksgiving over here in the near future.
I can see there being a case of preferring to make 10 sales with a profit margin of £1 rather than one sale with a profit of £10 but, unless people are running up even greater debt than previously, do not think there is more disposable cash floating around. I might be wrong though.

In terms of Black Friday and Thanksgiving, it's part of the 'Pax Americana' and cultural hegemony which has been increasing in recent years. I recently heard, American spellings such as 'color' and 'organized' are now accepted in schools.
Old 25th November 2016, 01:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

In terms of Black Friday and Thanksgiving, it's part of the 'Pax Americana' and cultural hegemony which has been increasing in recent years. I recently heard, American spellings such as 'color' and 'organized' are now accepted in schools.
Don't get me started on this. I have no idea how to spell anything anymore thanks to computers. So much ends up underlined as incorrect i'm always opening up new windows and checking words for myself.

That's how i know i've spelled Whisky correct and not the bleedin' American way because my spell checker tells me it's incorrect.
mr 420 and keirarts like this.
Old 25th November 2016, 02:54 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Don't get me started on this. I have no idea how to spell anything anymore thanks to computers. So much ends up underlined as incorrect i'm always opening up new windows and checking words for myself.

That's how i know i've spelled Whisky correct and not the bleedin' American way because my spell checker tells me it's incorrect.
I'm used to that in writing academic work with authors names and terms which are not in the dictionary, so I generally need someone else to proofread any assignments because the squiggly red lines can be there for a good reason or unnecessarily so. Spotting which is which can mean I miss grammatical errors, overly long sentences, things which don't flow or such things as non sequiturs.

This is my understanding of whisky/whiskey:

Whisky = Scottish whisky
Whiskey = American, such as bourbon, or Irish, such as Jameson
keirarts and Graeme73 like this.
Old 25th November 2016, 03:42 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I don't know really.

This is interesting. Apparently more money will be spent this year on Black Friday, and the associated period, than ever before. However, it won't necessarily mean more spending throughout the year, or be good for various parts of the British infrastructure.

From the Guardian:

The association for online retailers, IMRG, predicted £1.27bn would be spent online on Friday, up 16% on last year. It will be the busiest day in a week-long spending orgy that is expected to see retailers ring up online sales of £6.77bn in the seven days to Monday 28 November.

“Black Friday started out as a single day of discounting, which then became a weekend and now spans an entire week, during which time we anticipate that a high volume of pre-Christmas sales will be made,” said IMRG’s managing director, Justin Opie.

It has become increasingly hard for retailers to hold their prices in the face of rivals’ Black Friday discounts as industry sales data shows Britons are not spending more, they are just starting their Christmas shopping earlier.

Paul Martin, the UK head of retail at KPMG, said the traditional Christmas shopping period had been distorted by Black Friday.

“For retailers it has always been questionable whether Black Friday really benefits them in the long run, and in the current environment of rising costs and squeezed margins – perhaps it’s even more so,” he said. “This year some retailers have decided not to partake, while others have spread their offers out over a longer period in order to ease pressure on logistics and IT infrastructure.”

The surge in orders stemming from Black Friday puts major strain on both retailers’ websites and the couriers that deliver parcels. Last year the websites of large retailers, including Argos, Tesco, John Lewis and Boots, crashed due to the volume of shoppers logging on. Now, with more consumers than ever choosing next-day delivery, industry experts think carriers may struggle to keep delivery promises.

“Some retailers have gone to great lengths to ensure they are ready and others less so, but even big e-retailers, such as Amazon, have experienced issues on busy days like Black Friday,” said Robert Castley, a senior performance engineer at the digital analytics firm Catchpoint.
keirarts likes this.
Old 25th November 2016, 03:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

This is my understanding of whisky/whiskey:

Whisky = Scottish whisky
Whiskey = American, such as bourbon, or Irish, such as Jameson
Yes, you aren't getting my meaning. I know which is which, i meant i know i've typed whisky as in Scotch, because the spell checker tells me it's wrong.
Old 25th November 2016, 03:47 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yes, you aren't getting my meaning. I know which is which, i meant i know i've typed whisky as in Scotch, because the spell checker tells me it's wrong.
Oh, that makes sense, and not in a good way. I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking and the only version of the word which comes in the dictionary is whiskey. If I want the 'Scotch' version, I have to manually modify the word after dictating it.
keirarts likes this.
Old 25th November 2016, 03:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Oh, that makes sense, and not in a good way. I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking and the only version of the word which comes in the dictionary is whiskey. If I want the 'Scotch' version, I have to manually modify the word after dictating it.
Annoying!

Like this? Share it using the links below!