All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26088Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th February 2018, 12:04 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Using Rik's posts as a guide, lets have a look at the full specs then from Amazon

The Bloodthirsty Trilogy

This title will be released on May 14, 2018

"Inspired by the runaway success of the British and American gothic horror films of the sixties, Toho studios brought the vampiric tropes of the Dracula legend to Japanese screens with The Vampire Doll, Lake of Dracula, and Evil of Dracula three spookily effective cult classics collectively known as The Bloodthirsty Trilogy.

In The Vampire Doll, a young man goes missing after visiting his girlfriend s isolated country home. His sister and her boyfriend trace him to the creepy mansion, but their search becomes perilous when they uncover a gruesome family history. Lake of Dracula begins with a young girl suffering a terrifying nightmare of a vampire with blazing golden eyes. Eighteen years later, the dream is revealed to be a hellish prophecy when a strange package containing an empty coffin mysteriously turns up at a nearby lake. In Evil of Dracula, a professor takes up a new post at an all-girls school only to discover the school s principle conceals a dark secret and the pupils are in grave danger.

Abounding with images of dark thunderous nights, ghostly mansions and bloody fangs, Michio Yamamoto s trilogy emphasises atmosphere and style and is sure to please both fans of classic gothic horror and Japanese genre cinema.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation transferred from original film elements
  • Uncompressed Mono 1.0 PCM audio
  • Newly translated English subtitles
  • Kim Newman on The Bloodthirsty Trilogy, a new video appraisal by the critic and writer
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matt Griffin
  • FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Japanese film expert Jasper Sharp"
Will The Bloodthirsty Trilogy receive a dual format or DVD only release?
Old 25th February 2018, 12:06 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Using Rik's posts as a guide, lets have a look at the full specs then from Amazon

Death Smiles On A Murderer

This title will be released on May 21, 2018

"A haunting and dreamlike gothic horror/giallo hybrid, Death Smiles on a Murderer is a compelling early work from the legendary sleaze and horror film director Joe D Amato (Anthropophagus, Emanuelle in America), here billed under his real name Aristide Massaccesi.

Set in Austria in the early 1900s, Death Smiles on a Murderer stars Ewa Aulin, (Candy, Death Laid an Egg) as Greta, a beautiful young woman abused by her brother Franz (Luciano Rossi, Death Walks in High Heels, The Conformist) and left to die in childbirth by her illicit lover, the aristocrat Dr. von Ravensbrück (Giacomo Rossi Stuart, Kill, Baby... Kill!). Bereft with grief, Franz reanimates his dead sister using a formula engraved on an ancient Incan medallion. Greta then returns as an undead avenging angel, reaping revenge on the Ravensbrück family and her manically possessive brother.

Presented here in a stunning 2K restoration, D Amato s film is a stately and surreal supernatural mystery which benefits from an achingly mournful score by Berto Pisano, several shocking scenes of gore, and a typically sinister performance from Klaus Kinski as a morbid doctor.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
  • Brand new 2K restoration from the original camera negative
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
  • Original Italian and English soundtracks
  • Uncompressed Mono 1.0 PCM audio
  • Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
  • New audio commentary by writer and critic Tim Lucas
  • D Amato Smiles on Death, an archival interview in which the director discusses the film
  • All About Ewa, a newly-filmed, career-spanning interview with the Swedish star
  • Smiling on the Taboo: Sex, Death and Transgression in the horror films of Joe D Amato, new video essay by critic Kat Ellinger
  • Original trailers
  • Stills and collections gallery
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx
  • FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic Stephen Thrower and film historian Roberto Curti"
Will Death Smiles On A Murderer receive a dual format or DVD only release?
Old 25th February 2018, 12:08 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I'll probably wait for the standard edition of Last House.., it's not one of my favs. The Japanese vampire films sound good though, they apparently have a Hammer Horror feel to them which is good enough for me!
Artsmagic released some, or perhaps even all, of the trilogy on DVD some years ago I think.
Old 25th February 2018, 12:10 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
hehe Arrow can't do releases without a little bit of fanboy moaning. all the releases are blu only and that's got the back up of a few of the dual format fans. looks like Arrow has done an Indicator and abandoned dvd altogether.
I bloody well hope that they haven't ended their support for dual format releases!
Old 25th February 2018, 12:14 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Speaking of Arrow and DVD releases I miss the white box DVD releases just something about them love just looking at them on the shelf
I still love looking at them all and the fantastic selection they were. Still kicking myself I never got around to the Battle Royale white slipcase, and then everytime it pops up somewhere, is when I don't have the money to get it.

Also missing a few of the normal white DVDs, but they shouldn't be as expensive or difficult to pick up. Only holes in my Arrow collection are that far back!

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 25th February 2018, 04:07 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Speaking of Arrow and DVD releases I miss the white box DVD releases just something about them love just looking at them on the shelf
Worst thing Arrow ever did was getting rid of the white boxes

The familiarity gave them a uniformity, and made it easier to locate them in second-hand shops

Now, they are just the same as all the others (except Shameless, who have stuck to their 'yellow' boxes)

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 25th February 2018, 07:00 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Worst thing Arrow ever did was getting rid of the white boxes

The familiarity gave them a uniformity, and made it easier to locate them in second-hand shops

Now, they are just the same as all the others (except Shameless, who have stuck to their 'yellow' boxes)
100 percent agree, they were the best, 4 poster art options, distinct & striking. Now at least 50 percent of stuff in hmv's a-z blu ray section is from a "cult" label, they all look similar. I must be in the minority in actually liking shameless yellow boarders too, the artwork might sometimes be photoshopp-y but the boarders are imho very good!
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 25th February 2018, 07:46 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Very excited about Death Smiles on a Murderer. Never thought Arrow would release it. Fantastic news
Old 25th February 2018, 12:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by g053584398 View Post
You couldn't run the same test on the DVD version as well could you?
Surprisingly, both version are on the DVD too, although on my multiregion player ONLY the uncut version will play, I imagine because the player is set to zone 0 which is all regions. On the PS3 which is zone 2 (UK/Europe) the same censored version as the bluray in Region B, with the warning title card before the film plays. I honestly didn't think DVD had the technology to do that, perhaps it's a new addition with the advent of Bluray.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 25th February 2018, 04:22 PM
Cult Master

Just had a thought

If 'Last House' is a two disc set, I wonder if Arrow could get hold of the soundtrack and include that in the packaging to make it an even more 'special edition'
Rik likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!