Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26135Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th October 2023, 11:54 AM
Cult Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno_Miranda View Post
It's odd that I can find information about it everywhere except in Arrow's website. I can't find mention of the set being released in Blu-ray, only 4K. I have no interested in moving to 4k yet, and have been expecting the day when they start releasing films only in 4k... is this it?

edit: found it in Hi-def Ninja: https://www.hidefninja.com/community...eo-usa.120144/

Much relieved!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You have to remember it hasn't actually been announced by Arrow yet.

Announcements are this afternoon at 3pm UK time.
Also, remember that the 'official' announcement was made by someone who describes themselves as being "an ambassador to Arrow" who is (it seems) unconnected to the label, but gets information about new releases via e-mail before they are announced!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 27th October 2023, 12:07 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Also, remember that the 'official' announcement was made by someone who describes themselves as being "an ambassador to Arrow" who is (it seems) unconnected to the label, but gets information about new releases via e-mail before they are announced!
Not sure what you are getting at here, Susan. I was responding to a post saying there was no listings of a Blu-ray box set. Then replying that there wouldn't be yet as it hasn't been announced by Arrow yet.
Old 27th October 2023, 01:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

Maybe the Conan thing is a big hoax and it’s actually Excalibur
Old 27th October 2023, 01:17 PM
Cult Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Not sure what you are getting at here, Susan. I was responding to a post saying there was no listings of a Blu-ray box set. Then replying that there wouldn't be yet as it hasn't been announced by Arrow yet.
I was just pointing out that the original announcement of 'Conan' was made yesterday on FB by someone who has a questionable connection with Arrow

It may be genuine, or as Rob says, it may all be a hoax

All will be revealed in less than an hour!

Old 27th October 2023, 01:53 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Maybe the Conan thing is a big hoax and it’s actually Excalibur
That would be hilarious, and I would still be very happy.
Old 27th October 2023, 02:07 PM
Cult Don

NEW UK, TITLE: Carrie (1976) - Limited Edition 4K UHD Arrow pre-order available - £30:00

Release date: January 22

"In 1974, Stephen King published his first novel, the story of Carrie White, a troubled young girl, bullied by her peers and daughter to a fanatical fundamentalist mother, who discovers she has telekinetic powers. In 1976, it became the first of his works to be adapted for the big screen and, to this day, remains one of the very best.

Carrie marked Brian De Palma's arrival as a major director, following smaller cult films such as Sisters, Phantom of the Paradise and Obsession, and provided a key early role for Sissy Spacek (Badlands), one that would earn her a Best Actress nomination at the Academy Awards. Piper Laurie would also pick up a nomination as Carrie's mother, while future stars such as Amy Irving, John Travolta and Nancy Allen were given their first major parts in a big-screen production.

Restored in 4K from the original negative, this collector's edition provides the definitive release of a horror classic."

Special Features:
  • 4K restoration from the original camera negative
  • 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-rayTM presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
  • Lossless mono and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtracks
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Commentary by Lee Gambin, author of Nope, Nothing Wrong Here: The Making of Cujo, and Alexandra Heller-Nicholas, author of Cultographies: Ms. 45 and Devil's Advocates: Suspiria
  • Acting Carrie - archive featurette containing interviews with director Brian De Palma, actors Sissy Spacek, Piper Laurie, Amy Irving, William Katt and others
  • More Acting Carrie - additional interviews with the cast of the film
  • Visualising Carrie: From Words to Images - archive featurette containing interviews with De Palma, writer Lawrence D. Cohen, editor Paul Hirsch and art director Jack Fisk
  • Singing Carrie: Carrie the Musical - archive featurette on the stage musical adaptation of King's novel
  • Writing Carrie - an interview with writer Lawrence D. Cohen
  • Shooting Carrie - an interview with cinematographer Mario Tosi
  • Cutting Carrie - an interview with editor Paul Hirsch
  • Casting Carrie - an interview with casting director Harriet B. Helberg
  • Bucket of Blood - an interview with composer Pino Donaggio
  • Horror's Hallowed Grounds - a look back at the locations of Carrie
  • Comparing Carrie - visual essay comparing the various versions and adaptations of Carrie across the years
  • Alternate TV opening
  • Image gallery
  • Trailer
  • TV spots
  • Radio spots
  • Carrie trailer reel
  • Limited edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring original and new artwork by Laz Marquez
  • Limited edition 40-page perfect bound book featuring writing on the film by Neil Mitchell, author of Devil's Advocates: Carrie, a reprint of the Final Girls' 40th anniversary Carriezine, and an archive interview with Brian De Palma
  • Fold-out double-sided poster featuring original and new artwork by Laz Marquez
  • Six double-sided collector's postcards

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carrie - 4K UHD.jpg (85.6 KB, 32 views)

Old 27th October 2023, 02:14 PM
Cult Don

NEW US & CAN TITLE: 'Murphy's War' (1971) - Limited Edition Blu-Ray pre-order available at Arrow US - $28:00

Release date: January 30

"WORLD WAR TWO IS ENDING, WORLD WAR MURPHY HAS JUST BEGUN...

Iconic actor Peter O'Toole (Lawrence of Arabia, The Stunt Man) joins forces with director Peter Yates (Bullit, The Friends of Eddie Coyle) in this blisteringly acerbic, wildly entertaining film about the absurdity of war.

During the last days of WWII, the merchant ship 'Mount Kyle' is sunk by a German U-boat off the coast of Venezuela and the sailors machine-gunned in the water. Only Murphy (O'Toole) survives, making his way to shore where he is nursed to health by Dr. Hayden (Sian Phillips), a pacifist Quaker who runs a missionary settlement near the mouth of the Orinoco River. When Murphy discovers that the U-boat is now hiding further up the river using the jungle for cover, he becomes obsessed with retribution and begins a one man war to sink the German U-boat, no matter the cost.

With a script by Stirling Silliphant (In the Heat of the Night, The Poseidon Adventure), cinematography by the legendary Douglas Slocombe (The Italian Job, Raiders of the Lost Ark) and a supporting cast that includes Philippe Noiret (La Grande Bouffe, Cinema Paradiso) and Horst Janson (Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter, Shout at the Devil), Murphy's War is an underseen gem."

Special Features:
  • High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation
  • Original lossless mono audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Running Out of War, a new visual essay by film critic David Cairns
  • A Great Adventure, an archive interview with assistant director John Glen
  • Dougie, Chic and Me, an archive interview with focus puller Robin Vidgeon
  • One Man Army, an archive interview with film critic Sheldon Hall
  • Theatrical trailer
  • Image gallery
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Peter Strain
  • Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing by film critic Philip Kemp

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Murphy's War.jpg (84.2 KB, 33 views)

Old 27th October 2023, 02:20 PM
Cult Don

The 'Conan' releases have been officially announced as being:

'Conan The Barbarian' as a Limited Edition 4K UHD release OR Limited Edition Blu-Ray release
'Conan The Destroyer' as a Limited Edition 4K UHD release OR Limited Edition Blu-Ray release
'The Conan Chronicles' as a Limited Edition 4K UHD release OR Limited Edition Blu-Ray release

HOWEVER... they are US and Canada only!

Old 27th October 2023, 02:20 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

So.....$60 for the Conan set on 4K, or the two of them individually for $90.

Basically $30 more for another box.
Old 27th October 2023, 02:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It's my understanding that a sex scene is also cut (no idea why) in the UK Conan the Barbarian, not just horse tripping. Back in the day, it annoyed me enough to import the US Universal blu-ray (which is very cheap nowadays).

That Universal disc has the US cut of the film so is missing a 90 sec dialogue scene (known as the moby dick scene). Apparently some choral voices are also missing from the sound mix.

Much as I enjoy all 3 Conan films - yes, even Red Sonja - I don't see myself spending lots of cash on an imported 4K UHD. btw Weirdly the UK bd of Conan the Destroyer is completely uncensored (don't tell the bbfc).

Like this? Share it using the links below!