LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd June 2024, 08:00 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
I get your drift now but I honestly think a remastered UK Silence of the Lambs is a fantastic new release. Current UK version doesn't look great...

btw I think this will be my first brand new UK Arrow purchase since the remastered Tenebrae.
Although The Silence of the Lambs isn't 'a Roger Corman film', it's directed by one of his proteges and he has a cameo appearance, so a remastered 'bells and whistles' release would be one way to honour his life.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 5th June 2024 at 08:38 PM.
Old 2nd June 2024, 09:14 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
I get your drift now but I honestly think a remastered UK Silence of the Lambs is a fantastic new release. Current UK version doesn't look great...

btw I think this will be my first brand new UK Arrow purchase since the remastered Tenebrae.
Silence of the Lambs in actually one of Arrows best releases in a while. I also want the Mexico Trilogy. Though the prices are their usual stupidity.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 2nd June 2024, 10:26 PM
Cult Addict

And I honestly cannot recall the last time I used them directly. I hate their barsackwards website, and I will not pay their pathetic p&p cost when the releases are absurdly priced in the first place.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 3rd June 2024, 07:18 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Although The Silence of the Lambs isn't 'a Roger Corman film', it's directed by one of his prot?g?s and he has a cameo appearance, so a remastered 'bells and whistles' release would be one way to honour his life.
I'd rather have a double / feature of 'Little Shop Of Horrors' and 'A Bucket Of Blood'

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 3rd June 2024, 08:10 AM
Cult Acolyte

Another irritating thing about the Arrow site is the begging emails they send after you have visited the site...

'Did you forget something?'

No I ****ing didn't - I came, I saw it was shit, I left. End of!

Old 5th June 2024, 04:03 PM
Cult Master

It looks like a new Shaw Brothers box set is going to be announced on Friday

Old 6th June 2024, 09:42 PM
Active Cultist

Shawscope Volume Three

IMG_0879.jpg

Quote:
Before Hong Kong's mightiest film studio mastered the art of the kung fu film, Shaw Brothers hit box office gold with a very different kind of martial arts cinema, one that channelled the blood-soaked widescreen violence of Japanese samurai epics and Italian spaghetti westerns into a uniquely Chinese form: the wuxia pian. With their enthralling tales drawn from historical myth and legend of sword-wielding (and often gravity-defying) noble heroes, the wuxia films housed in this next instalment of Arrow Video's best-selling Shawscope series demonstrate the sweeping stylistic evolution of the genre, from the righteous stoicism of the late-60s Mandarin period, right through to the wild-and-weird anarchism of the early-80s Cantonese explosion.

The iconic One-Armed Swordsman trilogy, directed between 1967 and 1971 by wuxia cinema godfather Chang Cheh, made household names of stars Jimmy Wang Yu and David Chiang and set the gory template for many of the films to come. Contrary to Chang's tales of loyal brotherhood, many wuxia films focused on female protagonists, three very different examples of which we see next: Ho Meng-hua's Lady Hermit, with the great Cheng Pei-pei (Come Drink with Me) as a virtuous swordswoman called upon to stop a vicious warlord; Chor Yuen's scandalous Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan in which the titular lady of the night masters every deadly skill she can to get revenge on those who enslaved her; and Cheng Kang's all-star epic The 14 Amazons, in which Shaws' finest starlets play the real-life women of the Yang dynasty, avenging their fallen menfolk in battle. Next, Chor Yuen adapted several beloved novels by consummate wuxia storyteller Gu Long to the big screen, four of which are collected here: The Magic Blade, Clans of Intrigue, Jade Tiger and The Sentimental Swordsman, all starring the redoubtable Ti Lung. As kung fu overtook wuxia at the box office, the genre evolved into unexpected new directions, with its chivalrous knights-errant replaced by conflicted antiheroes, as seen in Sun Chung's breathlessly exciting The Avenging Eagle and Boxer's Omen goremeister Kuei Chih-hung's fatalistic masterpiece Killer Constable. Finally, just when it seemed the wuxia film had nowhere left to turn, Eighties excess reigned supreme in the special-effects-soaked, fourth-wall-breaking fantastical delights of Taylor Wong's Buddha's Palm and Lu Chun-ku's Bastard Swordsman.

Back with all-new exclusive restorations and hours of insightful bonus material, if you thought the previous two Shawscope sets showed the Shaw Brothers studio at its strongest, you ain't seen nothing yet!

LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY COLLECTION CONTENTS

- High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentations of all fourteen films, including thirteen new 2K restorations by Arrow Films from the original negatives, and a new 4K restoration of One-Armed Swordsman by Celestial Pictures
- Original uncompressed Mandarin mono, plus Cantonese and/or English (where applicable) lossless mono options
- Newly translated English subtitles for each film
- Illustrated 60-page collectors' booklet featuring new writing by David West, Jonathan Clements and Dylan Cheung, plus cast and crew listings and notes on each film by Ian Jane
- New artwork by Tony Stella, Ilan Sheady, Tom Ralston, Jolyon Yates, Kung Fu Bob and Chris Malbon
- Hours of illuminating bonus features, including feature commentaries on each film, several cast-and-crew interviews from the Frederic Ambroisine Video Archive, and the rare alternate Korean cut of Killer Constable
- Exclusive CD of music from the De Wolfe Music Library, as heard in The Avenging Eagle and other Shaw Brothers classics
Old 7th June 2024, 11:10 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Shawscope Volume Three

Attachment 251394
I'm semi interested in this but not as an LE. Do they do cut down versions of these sets?
Old 7th June 2024, 11:23 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
I'm semi interested in this but not as an LE. Do they do cut down versions of these sets?
Vol One has 3 stand-alone releases with 3 or 4 films on each set, I've personally got the Chang Chen set which has Shaolin Temple, Five Shaolin Masters, Crippled Avengers and The Five Venoms.

They've not done any Vol Two ones yet, but you can still buy the full set in shops, so it might be a while off.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 7th June 2024, 12:52 PM
Cult Master

This weeks spotlight deal

'Ringu' Limited Edition 4K UHD - UK$18:00 [a saving of UK$11:99]

Deal live until Monday 10th June or whilst stocks last
4K - No good to me!

Like this? Share it using the links below!