Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26085Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th October 2014, 05:40 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

A few don't seem to rate the transfer either.
Old 10th October 2014, 07:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Arrows response....

"The Shivers restoration was carried out by TIFF (the Toronto International Film Festival) and supervised and approved by David Cronenberg. As such this four-to-five second discrepancy between the film as it appears on our release and how it played in cinemas is likely to have been the result of damaged materials and/or approved by Cronenberg. We are, however, investigating this matter thoroughly and will get back with a full answer as soon as we can."

It's Zombie Flesh Eaters all over again with another missing 4-5 seconds
Old 10th October 2014, 07:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam tyler View Post
It's Zombie Flesh Eaters all over again with another missing 4-5 seconds
did shivers have any boats in it? If I did I get the feeling arrow just don't like boats.
Old 10th October 2014, 09:13 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
A few don't seem to rate the transfer either.
Well that's bollocks. It was never going to look jaw dropping due to the nature of the production but its way better than any version i've seen.

From the sounds of things though this one is genuinely not arrows fault as they bought it fully restored. ZFE was their own restoration so should have been spotted but this was not in house.
Old 10th October 2014, 09:36 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
From the sounds of things though this one is genuinely not arrows fault as they bought it fully restored. ZFE was their own restoration so should have been spotted but this was not in house.
Just to be strictly accurate, the ZFE error was caused by a mistimed bit of seamless branching at the authoring stage - the restored master that James White signed off on was perfect from the start. Obviously, it should have been spotted in QC regardless, but it was an encoding rather than a restoration issue.

And Shivers is, as you say, down to the supplied master, which was accepted in good faith. In retrospect, it could have been checked against a DVD, but it seemed reasonable to assume that a very recent restoration supervised by the film's director would be exactly as he intended. This may still be the case, of course: we don't currently know if it was intentional on Cronenberg's part, a reluctant but deliberate omission due to the condition of existing materials (this was apparently a bit of a restoration challenge since the original negative vanished years ago), or simply an oversight.

But one upshot of this is that this morning I personally checked Arrow's HD master of Rabid against a NTSC DVD, and the timing of both was identical - even by the 90th minute there was no slippage at all: cuts and lip-sync still matched perfectly. So you can completely relax about that one.

As for the look of the Shivers transfer, to me it pretty much perfectly matched my memories of seeing it in 35mm. This is, inescapably, a very low-budget film ($179,000) shot by an extremely inexperienced director (Cronenberg had never worked with a professional crew before), whose original camera negative has long since vanished. In other words, it never stood a chance of being Blu-ray demonstration material, but if you watch it in motion the new transfer's virtues are pretty obvious. And the framing and grading are to Cronenberg's own specifications.
Old 10th October 2014, 09:45 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
Just to be strictly accurate, the ZFE error was caused by a mistimed bit of seamless branching at the authoring stage - the restored master that James White signed off on was perfect from the start. Obviously, it should have been spotted in QC regardless, but it was an encoding rather than a restoration issue.

And Shivers is, as you say, down to the supplied master, which was accepted in good faith. In retrospect, it could have been checked against a DVD, but it seemed reasonable to assume that a very recent restoration supervised by the film's director would be exactly as he intended. This may still be the case, of course: we don't currently know if it was intentional on Cronenberg's part, a reluctant but deliberate omission due to the condition of existing materials (this was apparently a bit of a restoration challenge since the original negative vanished years ago), or simply an oversight.

But one upshot of this is that this morning I personally checked Arrow's HD master of Rabid against a NTSC DVD, and the timing of both was identical - even by the 90th minute there was no slippage at all: cuts and lip-sync still matched perfectly. So you can completely relax about that one.

As for the look of the Shivers transfer, to me it pretty much perfectly matched my memories of seeing it in 35mm. This is, inescapably, a very low-budget film ($179,000) shot by an extremely inexperienced director (Cronenberg had never worked with a professional crew before), whose original camera negative has long since vanished. In other words, it never stood a chance of being Blu-ray demonstration material, but if you watch it in motion the new transfer's virtues are pretty obvious. And the framing and grading are to Cronenberg's own specifications.
Personally I love what's been done with shivers, thanks for correcting me on the ZFE issue. I never expected a great deal from the blu-ray of shivers and i'm really happy with the end result.
Old 11th October 2014, 01:57 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Sounds like a more important omission than the boat footage, going by what others are posting on bluray.com. Maybe a bit of Cronenberg tinkering?
Old 11th October 2014, 05:52 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post

Thanks for the info but what will Arrow do with this issue? Any ideas? My copy is on the way to me now so I can't cancel it. Will there be a replacement programme?
Old 11th October 2014, 05:59 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropophagus View Post
Thanks for the info but what will Arrow do with this issue? Any ideas? My copy is on the way to me now so I can't cancel it. Will there be a replacement programme?

As a freelancer who was only peripherally involved with this release, I'm afraid I can answer that.
Old 11th October 2014, 06:00 AM
Seasoned Cultist

"Can" = "can't". Bloody autocorrect.

Like this? Share it using the links below!