LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th September 2016, 04:09 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
It means that it's a brand new 4K transfer (which is getting more common now, than to scan in just 2K), on a regular Blu-Ray, and not an Ultra (4K) Blu-Ray disc. So no need for an 4K TV.
I realise that, but just thought a 4K player and screen would show it in better quality than a 1080p setup would, just as a DVD upscaler does with standard definition discs on high def screens.
keirarts likes this.
Old 9th September 2016, 04:11 PM
Cult Addict

Didn't realise the booklet would be included in the regular amaray version of The Burning. Think I'll cancel my steelbook preorder and get this.
keirarts likes this.
Old 9th September 2016, 04:25 PM
Cult Don

I have seen 'Donnie Darko'
I have seen 'Donnie Darko' with the commentary by Writer/director Richard Kelly and actor Jake Gyllenhaal
I have seen 'Donnie Darko' with the commentary by the Writer/director, the producer and the cast
I have seen 'Donnie Darko: Directors Cut'
I have seen 'Donnie Darko: Directors Cut' with the commentary by Screenwriter/director Richard Kelly and filmmaker Kevin Smith
...and I still have no idea what it is all about!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 9th September 2016, 04:29 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
I have seen 'Donnie Darko' with the commentary by Writer/director Richard Kelly and actor Jake Gyllenhaal
I have seen 'Donnie Darko' with the commentary by the Writer/director, the producer and the cast
I have seen 'Donnie Darko: Directors Cut' with the commentary by Screenwriter/director Richard Kelly and filmmaker Kevin Smith
I think you need to watch it again.
Susan Foreman and keirarts like this.
Old 9th September 2016, 04:43 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I think you need to watch it again.
Alternatively, there is a very basic explanation. Apart from the beginning and end, everything takes place in an alternate (or tangent) universe, which is linked to the real/first universe through the portals. After witnessing what happens in the 28 days, Donnie sends a jet engine into the past to kill him, expose a paedophile, and basically make many people's lives better.

It is all explained in Roberta Sparrow's book, which features more heavily in the longer version, and there are certain scenes which seem to illustrate that Donnie is caught in a time loop (think Groundhog Day, but over a 28 day period), hence the discussion about destruction leading to creation, burning the money being meaningless. Also, the line "every living creature dies alone" carries more meaning when you consider what happens to Donnie, especially as he did it himself.
Old 9th September 2016, 04:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Alternatively, there is a very basic explanation. Apart from the beginning and end, everything takes place in an alternate (or tangent) universe, which is linked to the real/first universe through the portals. After witnessing what happens in the 28 days, Donnie sends a jet engine into the past to kill him, expose a paedophile, and basically make many people's lives better.

It is all explained in Roberta Sparrow's book, which features more heavily in the longer version, and there are certain scenes which seem to illustrate that Donnie is caught in a time loop (think Groundhog Day, but over a 28 day period), hence the discussion about destruction leading to creation, burning the money being meaningless. Also, the line "every living creature dies alone" carries more meaning when you consider what happens to Donnie, especially as he did it himself.

Or.... it's just a garbled mess that doesn't deserve the fandom it receives from people desperate to say it's a cult film.
Old 9th September 2016, 04:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
Or.... it's just a garbled mess that doesn't deserve the fandom it receives from people desperate to say it's a cult film.
Yup, i thought it was a right load of rubbish.
Old 9th September 2016, 04:51 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
If you look at the basic tenets of time travel (particularly temporal loops and those able to control time travel, such as in Primer), is not at all garbled and everything makes perfect sense.

This is a good read which explains everything about the primary universe, tangent universe, and philosophy of time travel.

Donnie Darko: Movie Explanation - A Detailed Explanation Of What happens In Donnie Darko
keirarts and Boo Radley like this.
Old 9th September 2016, 04:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Yup, i thought it was a right load of rubbish.
Yeah, i don't get it either.

The Babadook on the other hand...
Old 9th September 2016, 04:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
If you look at the basic tenets of time travel (particularly temporal loops and those able to control time travel, such as in Primer), is not at all garbled and everything makes perfect sense.

This is a good read which explains everything about the primary universe, tangent universe, and philosophy of time travel.

Donnie Darko: Movie Explanation - A Detailed Explanation Of What happens In Donnie Darko
I'm just taking the Michael, Nos, not serious in any way. I saw it once years ago, thought, WTF??? and have never felt the need to re-watch it again. I've read over time many people praising it so I'm sure it's my ignorance and warped cinematic taste that is at fault, not the film!

Like this? Share it using the links below!