All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th November 2012, 10:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
RE: The Pre-Cert forum. Films and things people obsess over in general, seem to instil the most eccentric behaviour in some people. My guess is that they love everything that tape-based formats represent because it evokes the memory of a time that they have a lot of nostalgia for. It may also be the fact that they've invested a lot of time and money into building their collections and would rather shut themselves off from the option of dipping their toes into the "murky" waters of other formats. The other thing you have to remember is that there are people who have zero interest in watching films made after a certain point (uh, maybe the demise of VHS would be the cut-off?). Who knows but I must say, I do like the Pre-cert forum, there is always some great discussion going on and always a lot of talk that bring back memories of times of old. Some really nice people posting there but I can see that it would seem very cliquey to new members, or even very agressive and can be both at times.
It did seem a bit cliquey and aggressive but then most forums do when you're new. Look, I wasn't having a dig as I know you have friends over there, it's just that the refusal to upgrade from VHS sounded quite baffling. I mean I can understand if they've spent the time and money building a collection and the whole nostalgia thing but this:

Quote:
there are people who have zero interest in watching films made after a certain point (uh, maybe the demise of VHS would be the cut-off?)
Even then wouldn't DVD be the better option? After all most films from before VHS was cut off are available on DVD or BD. But then I guess that'd go back to the point's above. Anyway, as I said, I'm not having a dig. It just seemed quite strange. What other people do is their business.

Quote:
RE: Carrie. Make sure you watch the whole thing soon! It's definitely one of the better King adaptations and is a brilliant film to boot
Will do!

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 26th November 2012, 10:26 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I really think it's the whole kit and caboodle for them - the labels, the packaging, the sleeve designs and even the A/V quality! I guess for those of us who prefer to see a film in the best possible way, it really is quite baffling but I think that this particular obsession goes way beyond simply watching the films and more of a case of "owning a part of history", as they probably perceive it.
Old 26th November 2012, 11:22 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Just my two cents.

I was gutted getting rid of my vhs collection. I didn't have that many pre-certs compared to some people but i can understand why they are loved so much.

It was a case of the money spent and seeing them on my shelves rather than anything to do with the contents of the boxes with me.

The step up in quality from vhs to dvd was too massive not to get on the bandwagon, but as has been regularly mentioned on here, i'm not fussed at all by blu-ray.
Paul@TheOverlook likes this.
Old 26th November 2012, 12:33 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I love Blu-ray and DVD. I've loved VHS and LaserDisc but when it came down to it, it was all about quality and storage for me. I could never have amassed as many films if I'd continued collecting clunky VHS - the wife thinks the discs are bad enough!
Old 26th November 2012, 12:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I love Blu-ray and DVD. I've loved VHS and LaserDisc but when it came down to it, it was all about quality and storage for me. I could never have amassed as many films if I'd continued collecting clunky VHS - the wife thinks the discs are bad enough!
Space issues are now a big concern even with the relatively slim dvd's.
Old 26th November 2012, 12:54 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Space issues are now a big concern even with the relatively slim dvd's.
Definitely. I wish UK blurays were the same thinness as US ones which are more space-preserving.
Old 26th November 2012, 01:12 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I prefer the sleeker boxes used in the US and parts of Europe too - they just look right.

Space is an issue for me and has been for two years. My collection is still boxed up in my spare room awaiting the conversion of the basement into my new office , hopefully work can commence just after Christmas.

Actually, it would be the first time in almost twenty years when my collection will be completely on show in the one place. It was previously relegated to cupboards!

So what do you guys do with yours at present?
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 26th November 2012, 03:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

So what do you guys do with yours at present?
My office is just ceiling to floor three sides all dvd's. The only wall space which isn't taken up unfortunately has a door in it and a window opposite.

Damn you windows and doors, taking up valuable storage space.
Old 26th November 2012, 03:09 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

My current office is the attic with typical eaves, which is why I'm moving into the basement where there'll be just a door and my desk to obstruct my shelf space!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 26th November 2012, 03:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
My current office is the attic with typical eaves, which is why I'm moving into the basement where there'll be just a door and my desk to obstruct my shelf space!

I moved my desk away from the wall and put it in front of the window things got so desperate in the space department.

Like this? Share it using the links below!