All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2183Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd September 2024, 06:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
When it had finished i did wonder if due to the nature of the film i might not find any rewatch value there. However it's obvious you want to see it again so i'll give it a chance and see if it stays in the memory.

If i were to suggest it similar to any other film i'd say Garland's Ex Machina but only due to the fact it's got a limited cast and a robot.
Yes, that's quite similar, and another great score in a more flashier 'Hollywood' vein there is The Martian as well.

Edit: Gravity is also a good one, and Ad Astra.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 2nd September 2024, 06:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Yes, that's quite similar, and another great score in a more flashier 'Hollywood' vein there is The Martian as well.

Edit: Gravity is also a good one, and Ad Astra.
Gravity looks stunning on Blu doesn't it
Justin101 likes this.
Old 2nd September 2024, 07:42 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Gravity looks stunning on Blu doesn't it
Sounds amazing as well, an immersive experience.

Old 3rd September 2024, 08:55 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Split Second. 1992.

Rutger Hauer plays Detective Stone, a cop who lives on paranoia, coffee and chocolate and believes a serial killer has returned, teamed with a rookie who deals in criminal behaviour, find out the killer isn't what they were expecting. A prime example of how to make a low budget film more entertaining than it has a right to be. Put another way, if there is a calculation that divides a budget by entertainment value, Split Second might not lead the way, but it is a damn sight ahead of many so called 'blockbusters' in value for money. It's post apocalyptic with London being flooded by heavy rain and a big rat infestation that seems to draw out a alien species that has a penchant for tearing out hearts. Cheesy B movie fest.

p13944_v_v13_ad.jpg
Old 3rd September 2024, 11:28 AM
Cult Veteran

I?ve not seen that one but it sounds good!

Old 3rd September 2024, 11:36 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I?ve not seen that one but it sounds good!
I thought it was very good, Justin. The constant London rain gives the film a totally different feel to most films of that ilk giving it a Sci-fi noir vibe.

It could almost have come from the Blade Runner universe.

I think i'll rewatch it tonight now.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 3rd September 2024, 04:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Jurassic Park (1993)

Steven Spielberg's now classic science Fiction film took the summer blockbuster to new heights with this adventure based on Michael Crichton's best selling novel.

Jurassic Park is the new state of the art ultimate theme park. An island off Costa Rica in the Pacific Ocean featuring genetically recreated dinosaurs, and it's about to open to the public. Visionary owner John Hammond (Richard Attenborough) decides to give a sneak preview to a select few including scientists Sam Neill, Laura Dern and Jeff Goldblum. However it becomes clear that all is not well in this newly created Garden or Eden and the resort is plagued by industrial espionage on a grand scale as the dinosaurs break free of their compounds.

The dinosaurs are the star of the show and even thirty years later the special effects are amazing. Some scenes including the first T-Rex attack have gone down in cinema history - has a cup of water which develops a slight ripple ever been as gripping as it here? - with Spielberg orchestrating the thrilling action with consummate ease and tremendous verve as he thrusts us into set piece after set piece of sustained terror all highlighted by John Williams' soaring score.

It's not a perfect film. It's perhaps slightly too drawn out in it's first hour with reams of science jargon delivered to the viewer, but thankfully it's done with a lightness of touch that entertains rather than bores, but when it comes down to it we are here for the dinosaurs not a lecture on DNA, and it's those dinosaurs which make Jurassic Park one of the greatest blockbusters of all time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jurassic_Park_poster.jpg (67.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 4th September 2024, 09:01 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Predators. 2010.

A group of people parachute into a unfamiliar jungle and become hunted by a alien race.

After Alien Vs Predator: Requiem I thought the franchise had gone and never get the spark back, I will admit I didn't really get on well with this at the first glance but after a re-watch i'm now eating those words. All the characters are likeable except one douche and was happy to see him bite the dust. The plot itself basically jumps right into it and gives it a bit more tension, even though you know what's going to happen and a few twists along the way. I'm glad I give this one another chance.

predators-poster0.jpg

Cocoon. 1985.

We got Wilford Brimley, Hume Croyn and Don Ameche sneaking away from their retirement home trespassing onto the next property for a swim except Brian Dennehy is renting the property and placing coccon's in the pool. The trio decide to swim in it and discover they are feeling youthful with a bit more lead in their pencils. We get the jist of the story that Brian Dennehy and his friends are aliens and are friendly just rescuing their stranded friends, lighthearted family sci-fi with a few laughs along the way.

p8491_p_v8_ab.jpg
Old 5th September 2024, 10:17 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Terminator. 1984.

Arnie is the cyborg from the future along with Michael Biehn is the soldier sent to protect Linda Hamilton from Arnie so her unborn son can lead a resistance of fighters to win a war against the machines. James Cameron was onto something when he created this epic piece of a film with brilliant designs by Stan Winston and music by Brad Fiedel. Just when you think they have won the battle with the truck exploding Cameron adds in a little curveball revealing the cyborg underneath.

51e18ca3-4958-4e24-b6da-23cdef1fa2c2_1000x1500.jpg

Terminator 2: Judgement Day. 1991.

Arnie returns as the T-1000 this time to protect Linda's son while a new terminator is out to kill John and stop the war from happening. A decent sequel with more guns, more action and special effects even with Robert Patrick's liquid metal cyborg and a nice shootout from the computer offices to the steel factory.

p13308_v_v12_ab.jpg

The Fourth Kind. 2009.

In the small Alaskan town called Nome, psychologist Milla Jovovich is assessing patients who believe they are wakening up at the same time to a owl at their window and under hypnosis believe they are being abducted by aliens. Whether you believe in aliens or not this was more documentary with alleged archive footage shot with the patients during their sessions. To be honest this wasn't that bad mixed with decent acting from Milla and Sheriff Will Patton who is one of those that has to see to believe about what is going on in his little town and a nice little twist to what happened to Milla's husband.

93e52bbfdda22e0aa0332f2419a4f789191703c24f254ed96f9de54730773d5e.jpg
Old 5th September 2024, 03:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Satellite in the Sky (1956)

An interminably dull British science fiction film in which Kieron Moore plays the commander of a space orbital mission to test a tritonium bomb.

A decent cast is wasted here. Lois Maxwell - Miss Moneypenny from the Bond films - shows none of her cheeky charm and Bryan Forbes is largely forgettable, but then again so would anyone be when they are opposite Donald Wolfit as the bombs inventor chewing scenery like a cow chews grass.

The model work is good but the story comes filled with ludicrous scenarios such as a lady reporter being able to stow away on a rocket ship which going off the poster is 'The world's most guarded secret'.

Like this? Share it using the links below!