Old 8th September 2024, 01:45 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Star Wars (1977)

A half baked space opera with lousy dialogue, white clad soldiers who can't aim to save their lives, a couple of twee robots, a wheezing villain and a space princess with bagels covering her ears and you get a film that will disappear into obscurity the moment it hits cinema screens.

A pity because parts of it are rather quite good.
Even though you're right about the dialogue, Stormtrooper aiming, and C-3PO's campiness, my sarcasm senses are tingling!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 8th September 2024, 01:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Even though you're right about the dialogue, Stormtrooper aiming, and C-3PO's campiness, my sarcasm senses are tingling!
Really? Are you suggesting it didn't disappear into obscurity?

I'll have to check to see if there are any sequels or spin offs or whatever.

At least there won't be any plastic action figures like there was for The Black Hole a couple of years later. That Disney lot will try and make money out of anything. Haha.

I'm all sarcasmed out now.
Old 8th September 2024, 02:09 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Really? Are you suggesting it didn't disappear into obscurity?

I'll have to check to see if there are any sequels or spin offs or whatever.

At least there won't be any plastic action figures like there was for The Black Hole a couple of years later. That Disney lot will try and make money out of anything. Haha.

I'm all sarcasmed out now.
In terms of spinoff films, TV shows, literature, toys, clothes, and a wide array other merchandise, it's not a massive stretch to say that Star Wars is the most profitable and culturally significant film ever made.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 8th September 2024, 02:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
In terms of spinoff films, TV shows, literature, toys, clothes, and a wide array other merchandise, it's not a massive stretch to say that Star Wars is the most profitable and culturally significant film ever made.
In a way it's incredible that it all started when a group of young film makers all decided that Hollywood was bloated and broken and produced films outside the system.
Old 8th September 2024, 05:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Thing. 1982.

John Carpenter's remake on the story by John W. Campbell jr "Who Goes There" with a star studded cast and a great setting of being in the Antarctic with nowhere to run or hide except for the alien that takes over the human body. Rob Bottin's special effects still live up to this day. Atmospheric, claustrophobic and who to trust is one of the big things that makes this film work and the big reveal of the alien at the end, but still leaves you guessing between Mac and Childs, is one of them the alien???

MV5BNGViZWZmM2EtNGYzZi00ZDAyLTk3ODMtNzIyZTBjN2Y1NmM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg
Old 9th September 2024, 07:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

District 9. 2009.

In 1982 over the city of Johannesburg, a space ship arrives, the government set up a area known as District 9 for the aliens to live. When the alien numbers rise, a corporation is formed after violence breaks out between aliens and humans. A agent is exposed to a biochemical and is hunted down while slowly changing.

What starts as a mocumentary with the introduction to the story and those working in the M.N.U. organisation then we are thrown into the eviction of the aliens known as "Prawns", the fights and the exposure then the metamorphosis from human to Prawn. Neill Blomkamp does a tremendous job with the direction and realism of the film. Sharlto Copley who takes the lead as Wikus does a great job of being like the office buffon who does not do confrontation yet able to let something kick him and stand up to being a man. Funny, dark, gritty, suspenseful with great special effects.

81DViUmK9kL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
Old 9th September 2024, 12:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Deadly Friend. 1986.

A whizz kid at robotics puts a chip into his girlfriend's brain after she dies and she comes back and things don't go according to plan.

Wes Craven's darker vision on a Frankenstein tale, instead of using body parts the young one uses a chip from a robot he built and creates one laughable kill that goes well with this film. Craven did manage to create characters that you actually like and yeah the old biddy who you want to string up on a lampost and the alcoholic father who certainly want to bash his head in. Still helped pass by 90 mins of my life for a Monday.

hqdefault.jpg
Old 10th September 2024, 10:22 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Neverending Story. 1984.

A young boy dives into a fantasy world through the pages of a book.

A kids movie that is thrilling, very involving, exciting, great fun, contains lots of adventure, danger, strong suspense, darkness, drama, strong emotions, fantastic and strange creatures, interesting and well developed characters and a good cast and a great director in Wolfgang Petersen. This is more than one of the childhood movies from the 80's that was enjoyable to watch back in the day and still enjoyable now as a adult, with great characters like Atreyu, Night Hob, Teeny Weeny, Rock Biter and Falcor., along with the two bickering elfs.

the-neverending-story-1687441570.jpg
Old 10th September 2024, 02:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Neverending Story II: The Next Chapter. 1990.

Bastian is whisked away to save the world of Fantasia again.

I can't remember the last time I watched this sequel, no disrespect to the late actor Jonathan Brandis but this was a disaster, the original cast couldn't return due to the gap between this and the first film and they had grown up, good set pieces I can't deny that but it seemed the plot was all over the place. Falcor and Mr Korriander do return with Rockbiter (both voiced by different actors). The land is being killed off by "The Emptiness" caused by a evil witch who has a man of a few faces and a annoying bird that might be good on a stove. The beginning downfall of the films.

p12830_p_v7_bi.jpg

Last edited by MrBarlow; 10th September 2024 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11th September 2024, 09:50 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Curse Of The Black Widow. 1977.

This was a made for T.V. film with Anthony Franciosa playing a private investigator Mark who is asked to help solve a death and uncovers a family secret with two sisters Donna Mills and Patty Duke.

Right at the start we are thrown into the movie with a guy being in the bar being the first victim and Vic Marrow being the lead copper who has his own theories of the poor guy's demise But our little P.I. does some digging of his own and comes up with his own lab tech helper who gives him some more explanation. For a T.V. movie we do get the big reveal of the spider and yes it ain't worth screaming about but you go with what you can, the acting is a bit daft and cheesy, to be fair I did enjoy this one.

MV5BZTYwZmI4YjktMThmZi00YmM3LTliOGQtY2Q4ZDJhMDI3NDc1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjY4NDQyNDI@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!