Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree29578Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th September 2019, 11:13 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I really liked those BBC Dr Who novels. I wish I’d bought more of them at the time ( and kept them ). I wish they were still publishing them too.
I started buying the eighth Doctor adventures but gave up after about a year as i was getting behind with them.

I restarted again when the series was basically rebooted with The Burning and stuck with them for a while.

However i picked up the bulk of them i'd say from The Works. Just following the new series revival in 2005 The Works had loads of the books on sale at 3 for £6. I bought every one i didn't own so now i have quite a large collection of them.
Mojo and Demoncrat like this.
Old 27th September 2019, 05:15 AM
Cult Don

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
Flesh And Stone
Amy: Okay. so we've basically run up the inside of a chimney, yeah? So what if the gravity fails?
The Doctor: I've thought about that.
Amy: And?
The Doctor: And we'll all plunge to our deaths. See? I've thought about it.

Bob [OC]: Doctor? Excuse me? Hello, Doctor? Angel Bob here, sir.
The Doctor: Ah. There you are, Angel Bob. How's life? Sorry, bad subject.
Bob [OC]: The Angels are wondering what you hope to achieve.
The Doctor: Achieve? We're not achieving anything. We're just hanging. It's nice in here. Consoles, comfy chairs, a forest. How's things with you?
Bob [OC]: The Angels are feasting, sir. Soon we will be able to absorb enough power to consume this vessel, this world. and all the stars and worlds beyond.
The Doctor: Well, we've got comfy chairs. Did I mention?
Bob [OC]: We have no need of comfy chairs.
The Doctor: I made him say comfy chairs. Okay, Bob, enough chat. Here's what I want to know. What have you done to Amy?
Bob [OC]: There is something in her eye.
The Doctor: What's in her eye?
Bob [OC]: We are.

Amy: So, can I open my eyes now?
The Doctor: Amy, listen to me. If you open your eyes now for more than a second, you will die. The Angel is still inside you. We haven't stopped it, we've just sort of paused it. You've used up your countdown. You cannot open your eyes.
Octavian: Doctor, we're too exposed here. We have to move on.
The Doctor: We're too exposed everywhere. And Amy can't move. And anyway, that's not the plan.
River: There's a plan?
The Doctor: I don't know yet. I haven't finished talking. Right! Father, you and your Clerics, you're going to stay here, look after Amy. If anything happens to her, I'll hold every single one of you personally responsible, twice. River, you and me, we're going to find the Primary Flight Deck which is (He wets a finger and holds it up.) a quarter of a mile straight ahead, and from there we're going to stabilise the wreckage, stop the Angels, and cure Amy.
River: How?
The Doctor: I'll do a thing.
River: What thing?
The Doctor: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing. Moving out!
Octavian: Doctor, I'm coming with you. My Clerics'll look after Miss Pond. These are my best men. They'd lay down their lives in her protection.
The Doctor: I don't need you.
Octavian: I don't care. Where Doctor Song goes, I go.
The Doctor: What? You two engaged or something?
Octavian: Yes, in a manner of speaking

The Doctor: Octavian said you killed a man.
River: Yes, I did.
The Doctor: A good man.
River: A very good man. The best man I've ever known.
The Doctor: Who?
River: It's a long story. Doctor. It can't be told, it has to be lived. No sneak previews. Well, except for this one. You'll see me again quite soon, when the Pandorica opens.
The Doctor: The Pandorica. Ha! That's a fairy tale.
River: Doctor, aren't we all?
MrBarlow likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 27th September 2019, 11:47 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 174

Tom Baker as Meglos in his guise of the fourth Doctor in the 1980 story Meglos.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg p01q94jd.jpg (86.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 28th September 2019, 05:22 AM
Cult Don

The Vampires Of Venice
The Doctor: Oh, the life out there, it dazzles. I mean, it blinds you to the things that are important. I've seen it devour relationships and plans. It's meant to do that. Because for one person to have seen all that, to taste the glory and then go back, it will tear you apart. So, I'm sending you somewhere, together.
Amy: Whoa. What, like a date?
The Doctor: Anywhere you want. Any time you want. One condition. It has to be amazing. The Moulin Rouge in 1890. The first Olympic Games. Think of it as a wedding present, because it's either this or tokens. It's a lot to take in, isn't it? Tiny box, huge room inside. What's that about? Let me explain.
Rory: It's another dimension.
The Doctor: It's basically another dimension. What?
Rory: After what happened with Prisoner Zero, I've been reading up on all the latest scientific theories. FTL travel, parallel universes.
The Doctor: I like the bit when someone says it's bigger on the inside. I always look forward to that.

The Doctor: Right. Okay, I'll go first. If anything happens to me, go back
Rory: What happened, between you and Amy? You said she kissed you.
The Doctor: Now? You want to do this now?
Rory: I have a right to know. I'm getting married in four hundred and thirty years.
(Amy finds the cover of the trapdoor to the tunnel, and pulls back the metal bolts. She starts to leave and walks into Carlo, dropping her candle.)
The Doctor: She was frightened. I was frightened. But we survived, you know, and the relief of it, and so she kissed me.
Rory: And you kissed her back.
The Doctor: No. I kissed her mouth.

The Doctor: Long way from Saturnyne, aren't you, Sister of the Water?
Rosanna: No, let me guess. The owner of the psychic paper. Then I take it you're a refugee, like me?
The Doctor: I'll make you a deal. An answer for an answer. You're using a perception filter. It doesn't change your features, but manipulates the brainwaves of the person looking at you. But seeing one of you for the first time in, say, a mirror, the brain doesn't know what to fill the gap with, so leaves it blank, hence no reflection.
Rosanna: Your question?
The Doctor: Why can we see your big teeth?
Rosanna: Self preservation over rides the mirage. The subconscious perceives the threat and tries to alert the conscious brain.
The Doctor: Where's Isabella?
Rosanna: My turn. Where are you from?
The Doctor: Gallifrey.
Rosanna: You should be in a museum. Or in a mausoleum.
The Doctor: Why are you here?
Rosanna: We ran from the Silence. Why are you here?
The Doctor: Wedding present. The Silence?
Rosanna: There were cracks. Some were tiny. Some were as big as the sky. Through some we saw worlds and people, and through others we saw Silence and the end of all things. We fled to an ocean like ours, and the crack snapped shut behind us. Saturnyne was lost.
The Doctor: So Earth is to become Saturnyne Mark Two?
Rosanna: And you can help me. We can build a new society here, as others have. What do you say?
The Doctor: Where's Isabella?
Rosanna: Isabella?
The Doctor: The girl who saved my friend.
Rosanna: Oh, deserters must be executed. Any general will tell you that. I need an answer, Doctor. A partnership. Any which way you choose.
The Doctor: I don't think that's such a good idea, do you? I'm a Time Lord. You're a big fish. Think of the children.

The Doctor: Now then, what about you two, eh? Next stop Leadworth Registry Office. Maybe I can give you away.
Rory: It's fine. Drop me back where you found me. I'll just say you've
Amy: Stay. With us. Please. Just for a bit. I want you to stay.
The Doctor: Fine with me.
Rory: Yeah? Yes, I would like that.
Amy: Nice one. I will pop the kettle on. Hey, look at this. Got my spaceship, got my boys. My work here is done.
(Amy goes into the Tardis.)
Rory: Er, we are not her boys.
The Doctor: Yeah, we are.
Rory: Yeah, we are.

Old 28th September 2019, 02:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 175

Tegan (Janet Fielding) and Turlough (Mark Strickson) with the same expressions as the rest of us whilst watching Terminus (1983)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg term3 (Large).jpg (93.2 KB, 38 views)
Old 29th September 2019, 04:40 AM
Cult Don

Amy's Choice
The Doctor: Rory!
Rory: Doctor.
The Doctor: I've crushed your flowers.
Rory: Oh, Amy will kill you.
The Doctor: Where is she?
Rory: She'll need a bit longer.
The Doctor: Whenever you're ready, Amy. (Amy waddles out.) Oh, way-hey! You've swallowed a planet.
Amy: I'm pregnant.
The Doctor: You're huge.
Amy: Yeah, I'm pregnant.
The Doctor: Look at you. When worlds collide.
Amy: Doctor, I'm pregnant.
The Doctor: Oh, look at you both. Five years later and you haven't changed a bit, apart from age and size.
Amy: Oh, it's good to see you, Doctor.
The Doctor: Are you pregnant?

The Doctor: This could be the dream. I told you. Trust nothing we see or hear or feel. Look around you. Examine everything. Look for all the details that don't ring true.
Rory: Okay, we're in a spaceship that's bigger on the inside than the outside.
Amy: With a bow tie-wearing alien.
Rory: So maybe what rings true isn't so simple.
The Doctor: Valid point.

Amy: Okay, this is the real one. Definitely this one. It's all solid.
The Doctor: It felt solid in the Tardis too. You can't spot a dream while you're having it.
(The Doctor waves his hand in front of his face.)
Rory: What are you doing?
The Doctor: Looking for motion blur, pixilation. It could be a computer simulation. I don't think so, though.
(A little old woman walks past.)
Hamit: Hello, Doctor.
Rory: Hi.
The Doctor: Hello. You're a doctor.
Rory: Yeah. And unlike you, I've actually passed some exams.
The Doctor: A doctor, not a nurse. Just like you've always dreamed. How interesting.
Rory: What is?
The Doctor: Your dream wife, your dream job, probably your dream baby. Maybe this is your dream.
Rory: It's Amy's dream too. Isn't it, Amy?
Amy: Yes. Course it is, yeah.
The Doctor: What's that?
Amy: Old people's home.
(The sign outside says SARN Residential Care Home. A man is looking out of a window, then a woman and another man.)
The Doctor: You said everyone here lives to their nineties. There's something here that doesn't make sense. Let's go and poke it with a stick.

The Dream Lord: Now then, the prognosis is this. If you die in the dream, you wake up in reality. Healthy recovery in next to no time. Ask me what happens if you die in reality?
Rory: What happens?
The Dream Lord: You die, stupid. That's why it's called reality.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Old 29th September 2019, 12:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 176

Sixth Doctor Colin Baker in a publicity shot for the 1986 story Terror of the Vervoids.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cb14.jpg (89.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 30th September 2019, 06:19 AM
Cult Don

The Hungry Earth
The Doctor: Big mining thing. Oh, I love a big mining thing. See, way better than Rio. Rio doesn't have a big mining thing.
Amy: We're not going to have a look, are we?
The Doctor: Let's go and have a look. Come on, you two, let's see what they're doing.
Rory: If he can't get us to Rio, how's he ever going to get us back home?

Mack: Is that what happened to Mo? Are they dead?
The Doctor: It's not quicksand. She didn't just sink. Something pulled her in. It wanted her.
Nasreen: The ground wanted her?
The Doctor: You said the ground was dormant. Just a patch of earth, when you first saw it this morning. And the drill had been stopped.
Mack: That's right.
The Doctor: But when you re-started the drill, the ground fought back.
Nasreen: So what, the ground wants to stop us drilling? Doctor, that is ridiculous.
The Doctor: I'm not saying that, and it's not ridiculous, I just don't think it's right. Oh, of course. It's bio-programming.
Nasreen: What?
The Doctor: Bio-programming. Oh, it's clever. You use bio-signals to resonate the internal molecular structure of natural objects. It's mainly used in engineering and construction, mostly jungle planets, but that's way in the future and not here. What's it doing here?
Nasreen: Sorry, did you just say jungle planets?
Mack: You're not making any sense, man.
The Doctor: Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up. The earth, the ground beneath our feet, was bio-programmed to attack.
Nasreen: Yeah, even if that were possible, which, by the way, it's not, why?
The Doctor: Stop you drilling. Okay, so we find whatever's doing the bio-programming, we can find Amy. We can get her back. Shush, shush, shush. Have I gone mad? I've gone mad.
Nasreen: Doctor.
The Doctor: Shush, shush. Silence. Absolute silence. You've stopped the drill, right?
Nasreen: Yes.
The Doctor: And you've only got the one drill?
Nasreen: Yes.
The Doctor: You're sure about that?
Mack: Yes.
The Doctor: So, if you shut the drill down, why can I still hear drilling? It's under the ground.
Mack: That's not possible.

The Doctor: Look at that. Perfect. Dyslexia never stopped Da Vinci or Einstein. It's not stopping you.
Elliot: I don't understand what you're going to do.
The Doctor: Two phase plan. First, the sensors and cameras will tell us when something arrives. Second, if something does arrive, I use this to send a sonic pulse through that network of devices. A pulse which would temporarily incapacitate most things in the universe.
Elliot: Knock 'em out. Cool.
The Doctor: Lovely place to grow up round here.
Elliot: Suppose. I want to live in a city one day. Soon as I'm old enough, I'll be off.
The Doctor: I was the same where I grew up.
Elliot: Did you get away?
The Doctor: Yeah.
Elliot: Do you ever miss it?
The Doctor: So much.
Elliot: Is it monsters coming? Have you met monsters before?
The Doctor: Yeah.
Elliot: You scared of them?
The Doctor: No, they're scared of me.

The Doctor: I'm going to go down below the surface, to find the rest of the tribe, to talk to them.
Ambrose: You're going to negotiate with these aliens?
The Doctor: They're not aliens. They're Earth-liens. Once known as the Silurian race, or, some would argue, Eocenes, or Homo Reptilia. Not monsters, not evil. Well, only as evil as you are. The previous owners of the planet, that's all. Look, from their point of view, you're the invaders. Your drill was threatening their settlement. Now, the creature in the crypt. Her name's Alaya. She's one of their warriors, and she's my best bargaining chip. I need her alive. If she lives, so do Elliot and Mo and Amy, because I will find them. While I'm gone, you four people, in this church, in this corner of planet Earth, you have to be the best of humanity.
Mack: And what if they come back? Shouldn't we be examining this creature? Dissecting it, finding its weak points?
The Doctor: No dissecting, no examining. We return their hostage, they return ours, nobody gets harmed. We can land this together, if you are the best you can be. You are decent, brilliant people. Nobody dies today. Understand?

Old 30th September 2019, 11:05 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 177

I really like this cover to the BBC book Superior Beings, written by Nick Walters and released in 2001.

Old 1st October 2019, 04:31 AM
Cult Don

Cold Blood
The Doctor: These must be the only ones awake. The others must still be in hibernation.
Nasreen: So, why did they go into hibernation in the first place?
The Doctor: Their astronomers predicted the planet heading to Earth on a crash course. They a built life underground and put themselves to sleep for millennia in order to avert what they thought was the apocalypse, when in reality it was the moon coming into alignment with the Earth.
Malohkeh: How can you know that?
The Doctor: Long time ago, I met another tribe of Homo Reptilia. Similar, but not identical.
Restac: Others of our species have survived?
The Doctor: The humans attacked them. They died. I'm sorry.
Restac: A vermin race.

Restac: Fire!
Eldane: Stop! You want to start a war while the rest of us sleep, Restac?
Restac: The apes are attacking us.
Eldane: You're our protector, not our commander, Restac. Unchain them.
Restac: I do not recognise your authority at this time, Eldane.
Eldane: Well then, you must shoot me.
Restac: You woke him to undermine me.
Malohkeh: We're not monsters. And neither are they.
Restac: What is it about apes you love so much, hmm?
Malohkeh: While you slept, they've evolved. I've seen it for myself.
Restac: We used to hunt apes for sport. When we came underground, they bred and polluted this planet.
Eldane: Shush now, Restac. Go and play soldiers. I'll let you know if I need you.
Restac: You'll need me, then we'll see.

The Doctor: I'd say you've got a fair bit to talk about.
Eldane: How so?
The Doctor: You both want the planet. You both have a genuine claim to it.
Eldane: Are you authorised to negotiate on behalf of humanity?
The Doctor: Me? No. But they are.
Nasreen: What?
Amy: No, we're not.
The Doctor: Course you are. Amy Pond and Nasreen Chaudhry, speaking for the planet? Humanity couldn't have better ambassadors. Come on, who has more fun than us?
Amy: Is this what happens, in the future? The planet gets shared? Is that what we need to do?
Nasreen: Er, what are you talking about?
The Doctor: Oh Nasreen, sorry. Probably worth mentioning at this stage, Amy and I travel in time a bit.
Nasreen: Anything else?
The Doctor: There are fixed points through time where things must always stay the way they are. This is not one of them. This is an opportunity. A temporal tipping point. Whatever happens today, will change future events, create its own timeline, its own reality. The future pivots around you, here, now. So do good, for humanity, and for Earth.
Amy: Right. No pressure there, then.
Nasreen: We can't share the planet. Nobody on the surface is going to go for this idea. It is just too big a leap.
The Doctor: Come on. Be extraordinary.
Nasreen: Oh.
The Doctor: Okay. Bringing things to order. The first meeting of representatives of the human race and Homo Reptilia is now in session. Ha! Never said that before. That's fab. Carry on. Now, Mo. Let's go and get your son. Oh, you know, humans, and their predecessors shooting the breeze. Never thought I'd see it.
MrBarlow likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!