Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28980Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2024, 06:48 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default SPOILERS

Empire of Death a brief plot run down

So Sutekh kept the Doctor and Ruby alive because this ancient all powerful God also wanted to know the secret of Ruby's mother, during which time the Doctor met a woman who gave him a spoon for "reasons" and then they strapped Sutekh to the TARDIS and took a tour of the universe (or what's left of the universe following the events of the Flux) so that he could bring "death to death" and undo the Marvel snap. Finally they found out that Ruby's mother was just an ordinary person anyway which does nothing to explain her magical powers to conjure up snow.

And that's it?!

Did I miss anything?
Old 22nd June 2024, 07:18 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Empire of Death a brief plot run down

So Sutekh kept the Doctor and Ruby alive because this ancient all powerful God also wanted to know the secret of Ruby's mother, during which time the Doctor met a woman who gave him a spoon for "reasons" and then they strapped Sutekh to the TARDIS and took a tour of the universe (or what's left of the universe following the events of the Flux) so that he could bring "death to death" and undo the Marvel snap. Finally they found out that Ruby's mother was just an ordinary person anyway which does nothing to explain her magical powers to conjure up snow.

And that's it?!

Did I miss anything?
I look forward to watching it !

*NOTE - This isn't sarcasm. I am genuinely looking forward to getting the boxset when it is released. It seems that this series has really divided viewers and I want to see it for myself to make up my own mind

None of the stories could be as bad as 'Legend Of The Sea Devils' tho !

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 22nd June 2024, 07:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
I look forward to watching it !

*NOTE - This isn't sarcasm. I am genuinely looking forward to getting the boxset when it is released. It seems that this series has really divided viewers and I want to see it for myself to make up my own mind

None of the stories could be as bad as 'Legend Of The Sea Devils' tho !
I actually enjoyed watching the episode, i genuinely did, but thinking back about it, wow, it really doesn't bare thinking about.

The problem for me is there aren't enough good episodes to make me want to pay fifty quid for it which is the price of the Blu-ray. The Church on Ruby Road was average, Space Babies is the worst episode of Doctor Who i've ever seen, The Devil's Chord was okay (I loved the song and dance sequence at the end funnily enough - nobody else did), Boom was two minutes of Genesis of the Daleks padded out to 45 mins, 73 Yards was good but as with Ruby Road the questions it brought up were answered by damp squibs in the finale.

Dot and Bubble was excellent, Rogue was shit, and the grand finale typical Davies. Superb set up but poorly resolved. In this case by just taking the dog for a walk.

As for Legend of the Sea Devils? I love the Sea Devils in it, they look superb. That's one thing Chibnall did get entirely right in my opinion. His monster redesigns. Sontarans, Sea Devils and Cybermen all really good. As was his junkyard Recon Dalek and the redesign of the Recon Dalek for Revolution of the Daleks.
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 23rd June 2024, 02:28 AM
Active Cultist

Well overall it was better then the Jodie whittaker era but still weaker then the previous nu who seasons that came before them. To me the people that are saying it's great are the ones that pretty much say that all of nu-who is great.
I really am thinking later down the years most of them will say that it's rtd's weakest season.
Best episode was last week's episode (he really did trick us and that cliffhanger!) But again it was Fenric all over again and this climaxed as The Doctor Dances.

What I will say is shame that Millie Gibson had to go. No her companion didn't stand out from most other companions but she wasn't one of the more forgettable ones either, as an actress did fine with what she was given and held 73 yards together.
Old 23rd June 2024, 03:50 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by will graham View Post
Well overall it was better then the Jodie whittaker era but still weaker then the previous nu who seasons that came before them.

I really am thinking later down the years most of them will say that it's rtd's weakest season.
Not only was it Russell's weakest season it was weaker than anything from 2005-2017.

In fact several of Chibnall's produced stories were far better than the majority of this season.

I'm thinking The Woman Who Fell to Earth, The Witchfinders, Resolution, Spyfall (1&2), The Haunting of Villa Diodati, Revolution of the Daleks, Village of the Angels, The Power of the Doctor.

Only three, maybe four of the eight were on a par or better than those in my opinion.
Old 23rd June 2024, 01:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 1889

Amy (Karen Gillan), the Doctor (Matt Smith) and Rory (Arthur Darvill) go in search of Night Terrors (2011)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doctor-Who-Series-6-Episode-9-Night-Terrors-5 (Large).jpg (88.3 KB, 31 views)
Susan Foreman and MrBarlow like this.
Old 24th June 2024, 02:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 1890

Leela (Louise Jameson) during The Sun Makers (1977)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sunmakers 2 (Leela) (Medium).jpg (41.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 24th June 2024, 06:18 PM
Cult Master

Nicola Coughlan, who is due to be a 'one-off' companion in 'Joy To The World', this years 'Doctor Who' Christmas special, due to be broadcast on December 25

nosferatu42 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 25th June 2024, 01:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 1891

Mark Wilkinson's cover of the Virgin New Adventures novel Return of the Living Dad by Kate Orman. It featured the Seventh Doctor, Chris Cwej and Roz Forrester and was released in 1996.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg NA53_returnofthelivingdad.jpg (80.0 KB, 18 views)
Susan Foreman and MrBarlow like this.
Old 26th June 2024, 11:18 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 1892

Part of the London Underground set of The Web of Fear (1968) showing a movie poster and an inset of the actual classic movie poster it 'borrows' from.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Web 6 (poster) (Large).jpg (77.4 KB, 12 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!