Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree29578Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th August 2016, 03:43 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I'd say Genesis came pretty close.

You won't see a proper Dalek story in Nu-Who. It's been broken down into simpler, bite-size digestible chunk episodes to cater to today's attention spans and diluted down to appeal more to children. The beeb won't want to risk scaring the wee ones.
The Daleks are barely in Genesis. It's the definitive Davros story though.

The last season wasn't bite sized chunks though so there is hope...maybe. Both the Davros and Zygon two part stories had a lot of time to breathe in fact there were lots of scenes of talk between the Doctor and Davros as in Genesis also that would never have happened a few years back. So much so that i'd think children would perhaps think them slow at times.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 13th August 2016, 03:56 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Daleks are barely in Genesis. It's the definitive Davros story though.
Agreed, however the origin story itself is perhaps more interesting than numerous encounters and the varying degrees of gimmickry the the Daleks were used for in a lot of the subsequent adventures. Plus, the Dalek encounters in Genesis (as few as they are) are probably more scary and menacing than the bulk of their other appearances put together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The last season wasn't bite sized chunks though so there is hope...maybe. Both the Davros and Zygon two part stories had a lot of time to breathe in fact there were lots of scenes of talk between the Doctor and Davros that would never have happened a few years back. So much so that i'd think children would perhaps think them slow at times.
There is no hope! Plus, there-in lies the issue to some degree... there is no attention span for longer stories and a lot of the build-up and menace may get left by the wayside to be replaced by cheap thrills and effects and a quick wrap-up. I may be alone, but every episode I've seen from the new series feels very rushed - even the two parters. I guess I'm just used to the multi-episode format of the classic stories.
Old 13th August 2016, 04:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Agreed, however the origin story itself is perhaps more interesting than numerous encounters and the varying degrees of gimmickry the the Daleks were used for in a lot of the subsequent adventures. Plus, the Dalek encounters in Genesis (as few as they are) are probably more scary and menacing than the bulk of their other appearances put together.

There is no hope! Plus, there-in lies the issue to some degree... there is no attention span for longer stories and a lot of the build-up and menace may get left by the wayside to be replaced by cheap thrills and effects and a quick wrap-up. I may be alone, but every episode I've seen from the new series feels very rushed - even the two parters. I guess I'm just used to the multi-episode format of the classic stories.
Agreed on the Daleks in Genesis.

Did you see any of Capaldi's last series to date? It was unlike anything that had gone before.
Old 13th August 2016, 05:02 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I haven't been able to get into the Stephen Moffat era of the new series as I did when Russell T. Davies was showrunner. I've enjoyed the performances of Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi but Moffat's unnecessarily convoluted story arcs have put me off. I just don't get excited to watch it as I did when Davis was running things.

I've long been curious to check out the classic series. I grew up when Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy were the Doctor. I remember watching it back then but I vaguely remember it.
Demoncrat likes this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 13th August 2016, 05:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
I haven't been able to get into the Stephen Moffat era of the new series as I did when Russell T. Davies was showrunner. I've enjoyed the performances of Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi but Moffat's unnecessarily convoluted story arcs have put me off. I just don't get excited to watch it as I did when Davis was running things.

I've long been curious to check out the classic series. I grew up when Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy were the Doctor. I remember watching it back then but I vaguely remember it.
The dvd's, packed with special features, can be picked up for around a fiver each. Nothing's stopping you.
iank and Cinematic Shocks like this.
Old 13th August 2016, 06:17 PM
Cult Don

The one Dalek story I would love to see is 'Power Of The Daleks', but I doubt if that will ever happen

From what I have read about it, I think it could be the best Dalek adventure that they show has ever produced

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 13th August 2016, 09:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post

Just get a few with Tom to start with and you'll be hooked.
Old 16th August 2016, 05:20 PM
Cult Don

Acting legend David Suchet joins the guest cast of Doctor Who Series 10 | Articles | Doctor Who

5 burning questions we have about this brand-new Doctor Who series 10 picture: Could this be another Time Lord?
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Old 20th August 2016, 01:20 PM
Cult Don

The title for the first episode of series 10 has been leaked

Apparently, it is going to be called 'A Star In Her Eye'

Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Old 20th August 2016, 01:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
The title for the first episode of series 10 has been leaked

Apparently, it is going to be called 'A Star In Her Eye'
What a shite title.

What on earth happened to titles like -

The Talons of Weng Chiang
The War Machines
The Tomb of the Cybermen
The Curse of Fenric

Titles to whet the appetite and fire your imagination.

Like this? Share it using the links below!