Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13872Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st July 2016, 09:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

watched the first few episodes of Buffy which i'm enjoying BUT it seems to have aged badly this will probably improve as the show goes on.

also watching the first season of Stargate SG1, which has been years since i've seen it but enjoying revisiting. also when i watched it on TV i ca't remember it having any full frontal nudity with hairy pie on display! even though Richard Dean Anderson made the role his own its going to take some getting used to after watching the film as he's take on Jack is totally different than Kurt Russell's, basically with the wisecracking etc its MacGyver.

taking of MacGyver it looks like its getting the reboot treatment.
hell he looks like he just entered puberty!

The MacGyver Reboot Is Heading To Series At CBS, Get The Details - CINEMABLEND
Old 1st July 2016, 09:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The X Files - Babylon.

A real mess of an episode but strangely enjoyable, mainly because of Mulder's shroom freak out which is just amazing.

Still undecided on the the show's return, I'm edging towards worth it, the Were-monster, Lauren Ambrose and Mulder's line dancing were a joy to behold. The skewed politics and muddling of the mythology I could of done without.
Old 1st July 2016, 11:59 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Watching the first in a three parter Punk Britannia on BBC Four show all three parts now.
Old 4th July 2016, 12:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The exhausting eight episode Assignment #2 for Sapphire and Steel was quite superb.

Dealing with ghosts from the First World War infiltrating the present at an old railway station. Again the use of old rhymes is strong but this isn't children's television. Parts of this are quite unsettling such as Steel out cold, tangled in barb wire and Sapphire, eyes jet black possessed by the darkness shrouding them. The line of passengers, all dead of course, waiting for a train that will never arrive, which gets longer with each passing episode, is really quite eerie.

Eight episodes is stretching it a bit but some parts absolutely fly by. Dark and decidedly grim, yet quintessentially British, i'm sure some members here (B_E, Inspector Ron, Nos and MTDS to name but four) would adore this series.

Old 4th July 2016, 12:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The exhausting eight episode Assignment #2 for Sapphire and Steel was quite superb.

Dealing with ghosts from the First World War infiltrating the present at an old railway station. Again the use of old rhymes is strong but this isn't children's television. Parts of this are quite unsettling such as Steel out cold, tangled in barb wire and Sapphire, eyes jet black possessed by the darkness shrouding them. The line of passengers, all dead of course, waiting for a train that will never arrive, which gets longer with each passing episode, is really quite eerie.

Eight episodes is stretching it a bit but some parts absolutely fly by. Dark and decidedly grim, yet quintessentially British, i'm sure some members here (B_E, Inspector Ron, Nos and MTDS to name but four) would adore this series.

It's the one that people still remember though. David Cann turning up in Jam years later probably means this left a big impression on Chris Morris as well. ahem. Six is still my favourite, but this is a close second.......

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th July 2016, 02:52 PM
Cult Master

Breaking news:

Chris Evans stepping down from Top Gear - BBC News
keirarts likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 4th July 2016, 03:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
I haven't watched but by all accounts he was the main problem with the show.
Old 4th July 2016, 03:21 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
I haven't watched but by all accounts he was the main problem with the show.
I agree with both! [Haven't watch it, heard Evans is the main problem]

I have also heard [possibly apocryphal] that Matt LeBlanc, who seems to be very popular with viewers, gave the ultimatum 'either he goes, or I go'!
keirarts likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 4th July 2016, 03:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
I agree with both! [Haven't watch it, heard Evans is the main problem]

I have also heard [possibly apocryphal] that Matt LeBlanc, who seems to be very popular with viewers, gave the ultimatum 'either he goes, or I go'!
Yes i heard that as well, last week i think.
Old 6th July 2016, 03:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Alias definitely. See how JJ Abrams started off. It's a brilliant series, lots of action and very globe trotting, gripping with good villains and Jennifer Garner is excellent as Sydney the heroine although by the later series it's more of an ensemble cast.

Garner also sports some very fetching costumes as well. The sequence where she struts in black lingerie to AC/DC's Back in Black was rather memorable.

Plus of course it was the series that made Bradley Cooper a star which i'm sure all the ladies will appreciate as much as i do Garner.

After Buffy and Angel it was the first series i started buying on dvd back in it's formative years.
On your recommendation i've dipped into Alias by ordering the 1st series. Should be here by Saturday or Monday and cost the princely sum of £1.50 including p&p!
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!