Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13872Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th October 2022, 01:29 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

It's still sat on my shelf unwatched. Hill House i mean.

I'll probably give it a go in November as i tend to ignore horror films during that month coming as it does between the October marathon and my personal Decemberdike marathon.
Justin101 and Demoncrat like this.
Old 28th October 2022, 05:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just finished the third of these Cabinets. More like it!! More "Lovecraftian" in structure and theme and all!! Happy Demon.
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th October 2022, 06:15 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Just finished the third of these Cabinets. More like it!! More "Lovecraftian" in structure and theme and all!! Happy Demon.
I noticed one of the episodes was The Dreams in the Witch House, explicitly Lovecraftian. You have to wonder if any producer is going to give him the money he needs to make At The Mountains of Madness finally.
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 28th October 2022, 09:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

There's also Pickman's Model. I'm keeping both of those for Monday. The 4th one was an odd beast with a wacky central performance. To be fair a proper version of TDITWH would need Avaturd's budget IMHO.
Justin101 likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th October 2022, 07:48 PM
Cult Acolyte

Magnum PI: Thank Heavens for Little Girls and Big Ones Too. Magnum is somewhat surprised when his new client turns out to be a bunch of little girls on a school trip whose teacher has apparently abandoned them and run off with a man - but nothing is quite what it seems. After two very serious episodes (incl the feature length pilot) this is a considerably lighter story that is a very funny episode and a Xmas one too. I must admit I'm enjoying rediscovering this show very much.
Old 31st October 2022, 07:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Pickman's Model .... some thoughts

I've come to the conclusion that HPL just does not transfer to the screen at all ... with an honourable mention to the HPLHS film The Call Of Cthulhu as being the only example I can think of to contradict myself AHEM.
Being as even handed as I can be, the source material isn't very ... cinematic anyhow, consisting of a muttered relaying of past events that ends with the usual sting in the tale that he perfected tbh.

As a creepy piece of tv, it works well enough.

[B]
Old 31st October 2022, 08:06 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I've come to the conclusion that HPL just does not transfer to the screen at all ... with an honourable mention to the HPLHS film The Call Of Cthulhu as being the only example I can think of to contradict myself AHEM.
Being as even handed as I can be, the source material isn't very ... cinematic anyhow, consisting of a muttered relaying of past events that ends with the usual sting in the tale that he perfected tbh.

As a creepy piece of tv, it works well enough.
I read a review of this on Letterboxd earlier and they said it was the worst segment so far and I thought of you!!

Anyway, there are a couple of good HPL adaptations, I though The Curse was pretty good at least
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 31st October 2022, 08:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

In my haze of tears, I had forgotten about that one J, far more accurate than the Stanley flick certainly .... so wanna hear what I thought of the last one .... which is titled ... Dreams In The Witch House? Much like there is a film titled The Dunwich Horror?
I give up. Ron Weasley Vs Brown Jenkin is a giant pile of poop. Even putting aside my own reservations, it is just rather silly tbh.
Now I'm going to watch The Brain Of Morbius to cheer myself up.

[B]
Old 14th November 2022, 06:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Catching up with The Tick S2.
trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.

[B]
Old 14th November 2022, 09:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Liking this series, there is some sentimental mush, but am ignoring that in favour of Seranfinowicz's gentle blue giant. A role he is making his own.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!