Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > The VHS Vaults
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree149Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th January 2012, 08:32 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this site before but it's well worth a look if you're a fan of the company and it's films. The guy who runs it is very nice too

Check it out - there's a very comprehensive listing of the films Cannon made, and a nice section dedicated to those films which were planned but where aborted. One of the tantaslising offerings that wasn't to be was an English language remake of one of my favourite films, Elio Petri's INVESTIGATION OF A CITIZEN ABOVE SUSPICION - the ramake was based on a Paul Schrader screenplay and was to be directed by Andrey Konchalovskiy (RUNAWAY TRAIN) and star Al Pacino in the role made famous by Gian Maria Volonte. After the project folded Konchalovskiy went directly into production on TANGO AND CASH - so all was not lost!
Old 25th January 2012, 08:38 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Looks cracking!

The original owners of Cannon apparently had a hand in Haggard's BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW and Reeve's THE SORCERERS!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 25th January 2012, 08:40 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Any fan NEEDS to look at those video galleries on there!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 25th January 2012, 08:46 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
Looks cracking!

The original owners of Cannon apparently had a hand in Haggard's BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW and Reeve's THE SORCERERS!
Is thatt right? I had no idea.

I forgot to mention in my last post that I recently bought a book about Cannon (Golan and Globus, specifically) called Hollywood a Go Go - it's out of print but can be had really cheap on Amazon Marketplace - should be an interesting read.

I'm just about to finish this (which comes highly recommended) and plan to read the Cannon book next.
Old 25th January 2012, 08:49 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post

Yeah,mental innit?

The Cannon Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 26th January 2012, 07:14 PM
Cultist

I've been meaning to give 'Death Wish II' another watch. I'll have to get on that very soon it's my favorite of the series after the first. I'm not too keen on the rest of them anyway.

UPDATED WEEKLY
Old 27th January 2012, 04:02 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:

I forgot to mention in my last post that I recently bought a book about Cannon (Golan and Globus, specifically) called Hollywood a Go Go - it's out of print but can be had really cheap on Amazon Marketplace - should be an interesting read.

I'm just about to finish this (which comes highly recommended) and plan to read the Cannon book next.
The book is an interesting read but the author puts the boot into Cannon at every twist and turn which becomes very wearing. As a result of that book when I talked to some former Cannon Execs about writing a book about the company back in the early 2000s they really didn't want to know - they hated that book and didn't want to risk more of the same.

A bit like my Cannon Cinema vouchers - no one is interested in redeeming them for me
Old 27th January 2012, 04:58 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

You remember the Cannon cinema at the top end of Sauchiehall Street Almar?

They used to screen films the Odeon down the road wouldn't screen.
I saw GRAVEYARD SHIFT,and thinking Liebestraum was some sort of horror movie endured that as well!
The bird I was with wasn't impressed as she also liked her shlock!

Old 27th January 2012, 09:24 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
The book is an interesting read but the author puts the boot into Cannon at every twist and turn which becomes very wearing. As a result of that book when I talked to some former Cannon Execs about writing a book about the company back in the early 2000s they really didn't want to know - they hated that book and didn't want to risk more of the same.

A bit like my Cannon Cinema vouchers - no one is interested in redeeming them for me
I'm now a big apprehensive about reading it. I know that the cousins were supposed to be a bit of a nightmare but Cannon did make some good films and deserve a more balanced account of what went on, IMO - like it or hate it, the company was a very big part of the eighties film scene.
Old 27th January 2012, 10:02 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
I'm now a big apprehensive about reading it. I know that the cousins were supposed to be a bit of a nightmare but Cannon did make some good films and deserve a more balanced account of what went on, IMO - like it or hate it, the company was a very big part of the eighties film scene.
I think it's better to know otherwise its a bit of a shock - its years since I read it but he's highly critical of how they pre sold rights to fund the films that then often didn't make the money intended but of course the wider point now is they set a new way of funding and as a video company they could knock out the hits - but what I loved was no film was boring, they took risks and for a little while they scared the shit out of the majors.

Like this? Share it using the links below!